Deerhounds

1 minute ago, billhardy said:

Saluki lur her Don souther bred  beanie Duke jess others cana remember Norfolk types bred thenm in ta sal lurchers from basic slow mo jukels ta totally different jukels catch long ears quickly boxy brainy killers. Atb bill

Sally went ta ta gaskin she was sold  catch long ears any where everywhere threes fours fives quickly and if needed long haul runs up and down the gears accustom ta land she running best long ear killer I had or Eva likely had. Had others from good stock. But nothing same calibre that includes modern stuff poetry in motion styish skilled killer atb bill

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely old running dogs,...I'm pleased that a few lads still fancy owning some of these beautiful animals.. My old stock were bred directly off an Ardkinglas Deerhound dog over a tremendously wel

There you go shark ?genuine articles ?

nice ttle film that mick.....what just shows them deerhounds back then ...looked more like the half crosses of today....

Posted Images

7 hours ago, billhardy said:

But this day and age lots keep em some don't even like em regular lurcher  long dogs jukels invariay don't make old bones here when ostly done t h ry gone unless Bern very very special whi h font tend ta happen. Atb bill

See. The same four hundred here four hundred there ha ha mugs game atb bill

That’s how it was back then bill for our team but the game changed for my self these days a dog that will run for me a couple of nights a week sometimes more a bit of ferreting an mooching about that fits in to my busy life style of living suits me lovely I don’t want a hero or world beater I want honest dogs I can use at my ledger to please my self But still honest enough to grade my own dogs with honesty an accordingly I’m trying to keep my own gear as a rule but we’re see how that goes 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, two crows said:

don was a weard bloke his original stuff had spaniel in I believe,  and beany was a first cross, funny how we talk about this cross and that and what influences them, but the Norfolk lurcher in line bred coursing dogs is a long way back.

Well the beany I talk offa was a Norfolk xs these had Bedlington influence has well gas coolie curs the wooly coats come from them  the souther  we know stuff had spaniel blood we knoww we fetched two dogs from Don way back both good killers  bred  still kept producing the blood still. Here by me they been really inbred but pretty much okay perfect fa outxs ta pures I would think  atb bill

7 hours ago, Bearfoot said:

No bill the few thousand was spent on matching Each other ?I couldn’t believe it to grown men getting excited over a hare some real true gems out there you no some of these dogs were getting picked up fr the handsome prize of 40pnds this was way out my league you no it was funny to watch though how one man can’t watch his friend have a better dog than him is beyond me ✌️Between the 3 of use we had some cracking permission it was just good fun in the end ?

tell you what bearfoot gambling is a strange thing ruins peoples lives, men bet on dafter things than their own dog, I never had a bet in my life on anything, but even got celebs telling you to gamble on telly ffs.

• Like 3

Gambling personalities are likely born as much as made, glad I've never had it, seeing people pushing money into slot machines or betting rolls of money on a dog is beyond my understanding. I like to see others dogs and happy for people to see mine but money is no part of it, it  just takes the enjoyment out. I used to bet on my racing dogs but only with pre-arrangement with a track bookie, ie if i was pretty sure mine would win i'd put a fiver on and he would adjust his odds for the race and pay me out on "best odds" basically a back hander so not really gambling.

• Like 1

The competitive coursing I used to do was never for money, just a competition against other dogs, whether under rules or single handed, but I can honestly say even that sort of competition took away most of the enjoyment for me when I was watching my dog run. All I wanted was to win, and once I'd stopped running competitively I was again able to appreciate watching my dog running, with no pressure. I would have been a basket case if ever I'd bet money on the outcome of a course.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Gambling personalities are likely born as much as made, glad I've never had it, seeing people pushing money into slot machines or betting rolls of money on a dog is beyond my understanding. I like to see others dogs and happy for people to see mine but money is no part of it, it  just takes the enjoyment out. I used to bet on my racing dogs but only with pre-arrangement with a track bookie, ie if i was pretty sure mine would win i'd put a fiver on and he would adjust his odds for the race and pay me out on "best odds" basically a back hander so not really gambling.

That all sounds familiar. Unfortunately we once told the bookie our dog wasn't "trying". We ran him behind a mini van  on the sands to tire him and fed him loads of tripe. We thought that would slow him down big time. Damn me the bugger won the race! The bookie thought we had double crossed him and was literally after our blood.? Took a lot of diplomacy to get back to normal with him.?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, skycat said:

The competitive coursing I used to do was never for money, just a competition against other dogs, whether under rules or single handed, but I can honestly say even that sort of competition took away most of the enjoyment for me when I was watching my dog run. All I wanted was to win, and once I'd stopped running competitively I was again able to appreciate watching my dog running, with no pressure. I would have been a basket case if ever I'd bet money on the outcome of a course.

Competitive coursing is like alcohol, it brings the worst out in some people. People even go apeshit at lurcher shows if the result goes against them. All three are best avoided if they bring out the worst in you.

• Like 1
On 03/12/2019 at 12:33, Bearfoot said:

The be some hare footage someware sandy ?

Bill Doherty used to course with his Doxhope deerhounds. I'm sure he stated that some of his dogs could take brown hare. Be interesting to know if he has any footage or photographs.

Tbh I think the whole lurcher/running dog game as become competitive these days be it betting on coursing for money or lure racing or just having like minded out for a run on the lamp it seems as though it’s become a my dogs better than yours game be it money involved or not pretty shit tbh but then again that’s the society we live in today Its a look what I’ve got it’s better than yours society 

12 minutes ago, poxon said:

Tbh I think the whole lurcher/running dog game as become competitive these days be it betting on coursing for money or lure racing or just having like minded out for a run on the lamp it seems as though it’s become a my dogs better than yours game be it money involved or not pretty shit tbh but then again that’s the society we live in today Its a look what I’ve got it’s better than yours society 

Numbers, 'speed lamping' and a few other things like you've said. Many of today's 'lurcher people' have ruined it for most average enthusiasts. It's all competition now, no knowlege, no empathy for quarry, no fieldcraft etc. People lamping in the wrong conditions, wind and moonwise, making sure that thousands of rabbits up and down the country get lamp shy quicker/easier than they used to etc etc.

Hehehe what a ray of sunshine I am ? ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2