Deerhounds

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely old running dogs,...I'm pleased that a few lads still fancy owning some of these beautiful animals.. My old stock were bred directly off an Ardkinglas Deerhound dog over a tremendously wel

There you go shark ?genuine articles ?

nice ttle film that mick.....what just shows them deerhounds back then ...looked more like the half crosses of today....

Posted Images

4 hours ago, shaaark said:

Exactly, wazak ?? lol

But just to clarify things, I've still not seen a true bull cross, with no other blood in, just bull/grey, do what alot of people claim they can do on here. Dogs with a bit of bull in them, yes, but not just bull/grey

Now go and empty out those bean tins before you recycle them, yas feckin wazak ?

Know what your saying furg yas pussy 

On 23/11/2019 at 14:38, webby said:

Can anyone advise as to the current state of affairs with working deerhounds in the UK, im intrested in getting a pup or 2 but must be kc registered and taking H,F and D.

They seem to be a rare thing to find from people that are working them and breeding.

Cheers

Go to Dave platts ang get a first x at least you know they are bred the right way and few from this line have gone to USA and oz and do well on Roos and coyotes .

its finding a pure d hound bred the right way as the show,money breeders messed them up .

first x way to go in my opinion .

good luck with your search 

moucher

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Go to Dave platts ang get a first x at least you know they are bred the right way and few from this line have gone to USA and oz and do well on Roos and coyotes .

its finding a pure d hound bred the right way as the show,money breeders messed them up .

first x way to go in my opinion .

good luck with your search 

moucher

i Don’t get how this is the answer if working deerhounds are low on the ground yet one man Dave platts can alway find a working bred deerhound ironically that he owns that’s good! the rest of the country struggle to even find a deerhound but platts finds them that’s good enough to breed f1 an start back at the beginning over again surly it’d be better deerhound greyhound x deerhound greyhound generation bred worker to worker to be a worker rather than at the beginning I still recon there is something not quite right in the breeding of dogs he breeds I’m not saying there all no good but I’ll bet there are some lies told to the gullible to help sales along 

ps not to sound a fool but platts are not a line if there f1 there type bred 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, poxon said:

i Don’t get how this is the answer if working deerhounds are low on the ground yet one man Dave platts can alway find a working bred deerhound ironically that he owns that’s good! the rest of the country struggle to even find a deerhound but platts finds them that’s good enough to breed f1 an start back at the beginning over again surly it’d be better deerhound greyhound x deerhound greyhound generation bred worker to worker to be a worker rather than at the beginning I still recon there is something not quite right in the breeding of dogs he breeds I’m not saying there all no good but I’ll bet there are some lies told to the gullible to help sales along 

a chap I ran with before the ban had one from there, he was his mate, she was fast and that's it, I don't get why someone wants to recreate something you cant use other than for lurcher breeding, money I suppose.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, two crows said:

a chap I ran with before the ban had one from there, he was his mate, she was fast and that's it, I don't get why someone wants to recreate something you cant use other than for lurcher breeding, money I suppose.

I’m not slagging them as I really do like the more traditional stuff my self tbh but I just don’t get how one man can constantly have a decent deerhound stud when there are lads out there in to there deerhounds an deerhound xs will probably only have one or two decent dogs in there life time that are good Same with us Lurcher lads one or two in a life time how is this man so lucky an always coming up trumps ??‍♂️Wonder what the testing period for one of these slow growing an maturing beast

4 hours ago, poxon said:

Don't know the man or dogs, but he's up to around 12th generation DG X DG.

His stud 1st cross is Price cut X his own deer bitch with Doxhope breeding i think. Aren't them new huge 1st X's off a German deerhound stud

• Like 1
4 hours ago, poxon said:

I’m not slagging them as I really do like the more traditional stuff my self tbh but I just don’t get how one man can constantly have a decent deerhound stud when there are lads out there in to there deerhounds an deerhound xs will probably only have one or two decent dogs in there life time that are good Same with us Lurcher lads one or two in a life time how is this man so lucky an always coming up trumps ??‍♂️Wonder what the testing period for one of these slow growing an maturing beast

nor am I, but I have seen some very use full deerhound lurchers, none of witch had anything to do with plats, the seventy's  and eighty's produced some very average deerhound greyhounds in contrast, jmho, from a single handed coursing viewpoint.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Don't know the man or dogs, but he's up to around 12th generation DG X DG.

His stud 1st cross is Price cut X his own deer bitch with Doxhope breeding i think. Aren't them new huge 1st X's off a German deerhound stud

they must throw true to type at 12 gens but be very inbred if their his own stock.

• Like 2