Deerhounds

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely old running dogs,...I'm pleased that a few lads still fancy owning some of these beautiful animals.. My old stock were bred directly off an Ardkinglas Deerhound dog over a tremendously wel

There you go shark ?genuine articles ?

nice ttle film that mick.....what just shows them deerhounds back then ...looked more like the half crosses of today....

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, MickC said:

There is still Deerhound stuff about worked but a lot more that is unworked and just peddled, its like anything when looking for a pup the hard part is finding one from parents that have genuinely seen graft. 

Are all your pups spoken for mick? 

40 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Are all your pups spoken for mick? 

1 dog pup left mate. Waiting on a lad back home getting in touch and a couple of others interested but nothing concrete as of yet, it does not help Im back offshore now for lads contacting me . hth

• Like 1
5 hours ago, billhardy said:

I believe that the kc has been approached for dispensation for introduction of greyhound in the deerhound breeding program   anastasia noble got same permission. We will see but the his all in situ. Atb bill

Bill I read something of Hancock wanting Platt stuff bred into them or Platt stuff recognised as a pure breed.At the end of the day there is no such thing today as a Pure Deerhound imo and when KC is involved a breed usually moves away from its working heritage. Todays representation of the breed is nothing like the original Deerhound in type/size/colour/temperament/coat. What there is today is the result of the original Deerhound being crossed to Pyreneane,Collies,Greyhounds/Borzoi and even Bloodhound being bred into them to change them from sighthounds to tracking dogs to move with the times when the big estates broke up and the Deerhound fell out of favour. This pic from the OCB site is of a pack of Deerhounds in 1890 iirc (man is 6'5") look at the difference to today's dogs .

http://www.deerhound.co.uk/breed-standard/history.htm

image.jpeg

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3

Nothing new mick but yas missed the point I getting across the kennel club has been approached again fa dispensation fa a deerhound with added greyhound blood to be utised in a breeding programme. Fa registered deerhound. Been done before I k ow deehounds of old were hounds that brought reds at bay if not taking them. But hey ti's what it his . My new addition o ecpect finish Round twenty seven lol  plenty big enough ta be what's in side him thatll have that deciding factor. Ti's what's inside him that will have the deciding factor. This will get tested thoroughly when and when times right. Atb bill

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Nothing new mick but yas missed the point I getting across the kennel club has been approached again fa dispensation fa a deerhound with added greyhound blood to be utised in a breeding programme. Fa registered deerhound. Been done before I k ow deehounds of old were hounds that brought reds at bay if not taking them. But hey ti's what it his . My new addition o ecpect finish Round twenty seven lol  plenty big enough ta be what's in side him thatll have that deciding factor. Ti's what's inside him that will have the deciding factor. This will get tested thoroughly when and when times right. Atb bill

Bill ill bare my arse in the town hall square if i meet anybody that as ever encountered a Deerhound in the last century that could come to terms with a lame arthritic red hind in labour.The only salvation for any Deerhound is the mongrel element in its breeding that may establish its credentials at the high altar again,they are to be found and they look feck all like the KC dross masquerading under the the Deerhound names pandered on sites like this.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, morton said:

Bill ill bare my arse in the town hall square if i meet anybody that as ever encountered a Deerhound in the last century that could come to terms with a lame arthritic red hind in labour.The only salvation for any Deerhound is the mongrel element in its breeding that may establish its credentials at the high altar again,they are to be found and they look feck all like the KC dross masquerading under the the Deerhound names pandered on sites like this.

I know mort lol atb bill

5 minutes ago, morton said:

Well one two were thinking dingo xs that will put vigour back in the gene pool atb bill 

7 hours ago, billhardy said:

I believe that the kc has been approached for dispensation for introduction of greyhound in the deerhound breeding program   anastasia noble got same permission. We will see but the his all in situ. Atb bill

That's one way of diluting the wolfhound blood

I remember one time mid nineties meeting a Scotsman with a brace of deerhounds they were massive 34 inch tall dogs with big boxy heads, they were a picture, but if people want them like that why not have wolfhounds instead

• Like 1
1 hour ago, billhardy said:

Your pup a 1st cross deer/grey bill?

2 hours ago, billhardy said:

Bill there has been Deerhounds from working stock imported from France Holland and Germany that I know of so the gene pool is certainly healthy. The decline of Deerhound/Greyhounds since just the 80s is remarkable never mind even from back in the early 19th century. I can remember a lot of the good fox/deer dogs back in 80s where of Deerhound/Greyhound breeding, also seen plenty out running on the hill Caithness early-late 90s doing there job. Here is the article from Hancock about Platts stuff and trying to get them accepted by kc and wanting to breed them back into the existing pure Deerhound pool. Is this not the dispensation that you mention ?

http://www.davidhancockondogs.com/archives/archive_900_present/912.html

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3
37 minutes ago, MickC said:

Bill there has been Deerhounds from working stock imported from France Holland and Germany that I know of so the gene pool is certainly healthy. The decline of Deerhound/Greyhounds since just the 80s is remarkable never mind even from back in the early 19th century. I can remember a lot of the good fox/deer dogs back in 80s where of Deerhound/Greyhound breeding, also seen plenty out running on the hill Caithness early-late 90s doing there job. Here is the article from Hancock about Platts stuff and trying to get them accepted by kc and wanting to breed them back into the existing pure Deerhound pool. Is this not the dispensation that you mention ?

http://www.davidhancockondogs.com/archives/archive_900_present/912.html

Good article mi k read it before no a breeding gonna take place early next Yr some of the older lines of plTts stuff involved I lead to believe atb bill

• Like 3