in the market for a 223. recommendations anyone

9 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

The Brno and cz are Mauser actions. All Mauser actions bolts are loose when unlocked.

Slight difference with slightly loose and a 2 cv gearstick loose.  ?

16 hours ago, delswal said:

Bollocks to posh lol.........my .222 is 20 years old...........Tikka M595.......I will defy anybodies posh gun to out shoot this thing...........a certain member off here was kinda surprised by its accuracy lol...........you liked it SI did'nt  ya 

My 223 is about 24 years old.  The metalwork is silky smooth, like new and it is capable of taking targets out to 300 +,  although I don't often take them at that range. The stock could do with rubbing down and re doing but I'd only wear it again and as I'm not trying to flog it there ain't any point.  The person mentioned that was kinda surprised wasn't used as a running boar target was he ?  ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Meece said:

You should consider the barrel twist because the use is related to the twist. If you drive a Vermint bullet through a 1:8 at high, high speed the bullets can disintegrate with the rotational stress. For most cals 1:12 x 22 inch is quite a good compromise.

you should look at this. what you said is not set in stone. his barrel is 1:8

• Like 1

I haven't had the time to watch through the clip yet . I did have a quick look through and the velocities look very consistent.  As said nothing is set totally in stone but some of the lightweight bullets that are designed to set up in small critters such as Groundhogs will disintegrate when driven at high speed (over 4000 fps) when fired through fast twist barrels  such as 1:8 from something like a 220 swift. Every barrel / gun combination is different. I have spent a lot of time and money developing loads and my barrel just doesn't perform with light bullets and fast powders. The load that I have developed uses a slow burning powder driving a fairly heavy bullet. 55gn  BTHP Sierra game king. This punches them out at 3450fps which is only 250 fps behind a 22.250 with a 55. This hits like a brick and nothing walks away even from a peripheral impact. I have known some light bullets go straight through a charlie and them run off even from a direct hit. There was one that was shot some weeks after a previous shot and you could see the healed wounds where a bullet had gone in one side and out the other. This is where ground experience shows what works for the individual. This is why i love reloading but it isnt for everyone. 

• Like 2
On 23/11/2019 at 21:12, Meece said:

I haven't had the time to watch through the clip yet . I did have a quick look through and the velocities look very consistent.  As said nothing is set totally in stone but some of the lightweight bullets that are designed to set up in small critters such as Groundhogs will disintegrate when driven at high speed (over 4000 fps) when fired through fast twist barrels  such as 1:8 from something like a 220 swift. Every barrel / gun combination is different. I have spent a lot of time and money developing loads and my barrel just doesn't perform with light bullets and fast powders. The load that I have developed uses a slow burning powder driving a fairly heavy bullet. 55gn  BTHP Sierra game king. This punches them out at 3450fps which is only 250 fps behind a 22.250 with a 55. This hits like a brick and nothing walks away even from a peripheral impact. I have known some light bullets go straight through a charlie and them run off even from a direct hit. There was one that was shot some weeks after a previous shot and you could see the healed wounds where a bullet had gone in one side and out the other. This is where ground experience shows what works for the individual. This is why i love reloading but it isnt for everyone. 

I noticed this guy is doing well with a 1:8 shooting 55g at 500-600m. Rabbits and fox.223.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhBrgwqbfzA

I think 1:9 is the best as sometimes a 1:9 cz will shoot 40g well and even 75g from my experience. 

I think the 53 vmax likes a 1:10 barrel best and the 53's are excellent all round bullets. So a 1:9 should handle the 53 vamx well. 

but its not set in stone. and people get lucky and unlucky.

i think where your coming from is if you want to shoot 40g all day long its best to get a 1:12 1:14.

but if you want something versatile that has a best chance of handling say 50 - 69g 1:9 is best. 

maybe 1:8 handles 53 - 75 best.

you pays your money and takes your chances

Edited by tench