in the market for a 223. recommendations anyone

ok so i'm looking to buy a secondhand or new 223 rifle.

something around 20 - 22 inch barrel 1/8 1/9 0r 1/12 not too fussed.

want something thats super accurate. varminting and paper punching. 

what would you buy if you had the slot and cash?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, si brown said:

ive got a Sako 85 in 223 and wish id bought the tikka.. the Sako might look a bit flasher but its no better than me mates tikka!

both do sub 1" groups at 100 with factory ammo and the tikkas £500 cheaper:good:

It’s always nice to have a bit of posh in the cabinet ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It seems nowadays as if a gun seems to be a bit of personal bling rather than a tool to do a job.  A scratch is the end of the world and some call them their little baby ect, ect.  I've seen old guns like Parker Hale's or Bsa's that will shoot one hole groups but most people wouldn't look at them because they ain't current models. Cz's are blooming good and I knew a bloke who had an old Bruno fox 222 with a double set trigger. That had, had so many rounds through it and it was really tatty like he has a bit of bailer twine for a sling but it was so, so accurate.   It depends on how deep your pocket is, what your going to do with it and if it is a tool or a bit of personal bling. I don't think that any rifle is a bad rifle none of them get enough rounds through them to wear them out.  The Bruno fox that I  mentioned had literally thousands of rounds through it.  So much so that the bolt was so wonkey that it had so much play that it was like a 2 cv gear stick. You pays your money and takes your choice. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, tench said:

ok so i'm looking to buy a secondhand or new 223 rifle.

something around 20 - 22 inch barrel 1/8 1/9 0r 1/12 not too fussed.

want something thats super accurate. varminting and paper punching. 

what would you buy if you had the slot and cash?

You should consider the barrel twist because the use is related to the twist. If you drive a Vermint bullet through a 1:8 at high, high speed the bullets can disintegrate with the rotational stress. For most cals 1:12 x 22 inch is quite a good compromise.

Edited by Meece
12 minutes ago, Meece said:

It seems nowadays as if a gun seems to be a bit of personal bling rather than a tool to do a job.  A scratch is the end of the world and some call them their little baby ect, ect.  I've seen old guns like Parker Hale's or Bsa's that will shoot one hole groups but most people wouldn't look at them because they ain't current models. Cz's are blooming good and I knew a bloke who had an old Bruno fox 222 with a double set trigger. That had, had so many rounds through it and it was really tatty like he has a bit of bailer twine for a sling but it was so, so accurate.   It depends on how deep your pocket is, what your going to do with it and if it is a tool or a bit of personal bling. I don't think that any rifle is a bad rifle none of them get enough rounds through them to wear them out.  The Bruno fox that I  mentioned had literally thousands of rounds through it.  So much so that the bolt was so wonkey that it had so much play that it was like a 2 cv gear stick. You pays your money and takes your choice. 

think you've hit the nail on the head with that post Meece, im looking at a new gun and its no super flash thing!

im not one for looking after stuff and the main reason I bought a stainless one was cos it'd be getting used a lot at night and when I get home knackered they get slung straight in the cabinet till the next outing!

8 hours ago, Stavross said:

It’s always nice to have a bit of posh in the cabinet ?

Bollocks to posh lol.........my .222 is 20 years old...........Tikka M595.......I will defy anybodies posh gun to out shoot this thing...........a certain member off here was kinda surprised by its accuracy lol...........you liked it SI did'nt  ya 

• Haha 2

Like meece said there’s isn’t a bad rifle, ( well maybe howa but that’s just my opinion, because they fell like a nurf gun ) I’ve never came across one that didn’t kill sh*t, it comes down to what suits you and what you want to spend, maybe go and handle a few, you might find what you like is different to what others like, failing that buy a TIKKA ?

7 hours ago, Meece said:

The Brno and cz are Mauser actions. All Mauser actions bolts are loose when unlocked.

With a Mauser action your supposed to only ever feed from the magazine so single feeding it say when zeroing can result in a stuck round in the chamber.