Got to be out in this weather ❄️

As the temperature had dropped to -1 and there was clear skies I thought I need to be out for an hour, for no other reason  than a walk out in the crisp air, so I grabbed the little.22 and headed out to check the camera for foxy action, so first thing when I got there I headed over to the camera, I’d baited up over the past few days with a couple of breasted out pheasants, a rabbit and a squizzer, now the only thing that was missing was the squirrel but the camera had not triggered so I’ve no idea what has taken it, possibly one of the buzzards at a guess, so at the minute it’s not looking to good for my little mates first fox, at least not here

as I was out I thought I’d have a look for a couple of hoppers for a lad at work and I think he will be more than happy with the couple of big lads I managed to drop for him, both took between 50 and 60 yards and dropped on the spot, both head shot, recently I’ve neglected the .22, always picking up the mouse gun but enjoyed it tonight, so it’s back in favour 

On another note I been thinking of a variation, for a dedicated fox rifle with a NV scope as the scope on the .243 won’t take an NV add-on because of the quality of the glass, now a mates been saying.223 but all I keep thinking .22-250, decisions, decisions ?

CE319DC7-70C7-4AFA-A1F6-15E1772C5E49.jpeg

0F5EF4E6-9FFE-4910-A913-5380B26C6B52.jpeg

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Ratty said:

whats your setup on this mate looking for a decent rifle not sure what to get? thanks.

It a cz 455 synthetic, with a hawke 4-9-50 scope and a SAK mod, cheap as chips, there’s loads of.22 to choose from and all do the job, but if you want a tool to do a job you won’t by a better rimfire than a cz ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ianm said:

For what it's worth I would avoid a .223, been there done that didn't like it one bit. Consider a .204 as a dedicated foxing rifle or if you must go for the 22.250. 

I’ve never been a fan of the.223 but they are cheap to run, I’ve always liked the .22-250 and I’ve never considered a .204 so that’s something I’m going to have a look at, cheers ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stavross said:

I’ve never been a fan of the.223 but they are cheap to run, I’ve always liked the .22-250 and I’ve never considered a .204 so that’s something I’m going to have a look at, cheers ?

Nissan micras are cheap to run but I wouldn't have one of those f*****s either!

• Haha 2

I have a .243 and ever since I bought my 1:12 Tikka .223 I've never used the .243 since..  I've shot mountains of foxes with it , very flat shooting, low recoil, quiet and deadly accurate. You definitely don't need anymore for foxes..Drop them easy out to 350yds. With home loaded 40gr vmax its neigh on identical trajectory to a .204  and everything is very easy to purchase for the calibre. Some like .22-250's but if I wanted a load of noise, I'd just use my .243 with 58gr vmax, its better all round than a .22-250 and deer legal.

41 minutes ago, ianm said:

For what it's worth I would avoid a .223, been there done that didn't like it one bit. Consider a .204 as a dedicated foxing rifle or if you must go for the 22.250. 

I'd second the .204 for consideration. I wasn't originally a fan because of the early bullet splash issues, but these seem long resolved now and the easy way to avoid it is go for 35 grain bullets or above. Some will say dead is dead, but personally I think the devastation dealt by .204 is 2nd to none in .22 calibres with only the .22-250 and swift coming close. I still think .204 has the edge in shock and terminal damage.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

How about quick release mounts for the 243 and suitable kit for night vision.

This is another option and albeit on the surface looks like a cheap one it is probably more expensive.

Quality quick release mounts are not cheap and you need quality ones to have repeatability. Then what do you change your quality day scope for?

Another day scope but of a lot less quality so that it will work with an add on, and add on's are only ever a compromise imho. Or a decent dedicated scope which will be circa 2k.

It requires a lot of thinking about before an expensive mistake is made.

I personally opted for two completely different set ups , daytime Tikka T3 supervarmint in .204 with a Minox 3-15 x 56 scope in optilock mounts and nightime Tikka T3 supervarmint in .204 with a Drone pro x10 in a McKillop mount. The reason I did so was I have the optimal set up for whatever I am doing rather than a compromise. I also have a 30-06 for deer but I only use it if someone is having a problem or I want venison for the freezer.

It's a shame Stavross is such a long way off or I would of given him a mitt full of my homeloads and let him try the 204 for himself, and I guarantee there would be no more talk of 223 etc.

• Like 2

I’ve never been to confident in no loss of zero quick mounts and to be honest I’m going to use this as an excuse to buy another rifle, it will have to be in the new year now, it will give me plenty of time to mull over my options, I appreciate everyone chipping in, it always bring up something I hadn’t considered ?

• Like 1