Pointer X

18 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Hound Xs got no bollocks , hunting great but there no killers , That’s why I got the gwpx I think they will make good hill dogs we will see with the bitch , I’m gone breed my collie bull grey this summer though to a good hill dog , gone keep two lines going and see how they fair 

I agree with hounds lack in the killing department but a little bit of hound goes a long way in a hill Lurcher feet,nose,stamina etc but Gwp got all that but harder & skin like a rhino but there’s a some good houndxs out there that’s a fact atb cbx 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my GWP X Saluki Bull Grey  he i getting on in years now not a very fast dog but a pleasure to own and work.

My bitch is great , I’m thinking putting a pure gwp over her in the future ! Should still be fast enough for what I do ! My bitch is only one I have now with old bitch injured so she’s got big boots t

when i said he was getting on in years well so am i  i have hunted with lurchers for years, collie crosses wheaten crosses and bull crosses and every thing else in between breeding a li

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Best lurcher I ever seen for finding its own fox was a collie cross, it was no hill dog by any stretch of the imagination but in large covers and such like if it held a fox it was getting pushed out. 

Yes mate a lot of collie Xs are great hunters if left to it , most dogs won’t hunt because there called and whistled at every 3 seconds 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, chrisbullx said:

I agree with hounds lack in the killing department but a little bit of hound goes a long way in a hill Lurcher feet,nose,stamina etc but Gwp got all that but harder & skin like a rhino but there’s a some good houndxs out there that’s a fact atb cbx 

Same as a collie aswell then them hill collies do the job out there , There good in all Crosses i agree with a splash of hound but those half crosses I don’t rate ! 

If you going out and out hill dog running a few of them hound x isn’t bad option but the pointer x gives you more options as a all round lurcher , as in lamping ferreting and other types of lurcher work ! It’s a gun dog x at the end of the day 

3 minutes ago, Flacko said:

Some of them old lines are  no nonsense dogs good stuff mate 

GWPS were bred to dispatch wounded shot foxes. A friend of mine had one he used for tracking deer and for rough shooting and as you say it was definitely a no nonesense dog but also had a great temperament. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Allan P said:

GWPS were bred to dispatch wounded shot foxes. A friend of mine had one he used for tracking deer and for rough shooting and as you say it was definitely a no nonesense dog but also had a great temperament. 

My mates Gwp dog is used for everything to mate ferreting,falconery,marking foxes to ground etc he will dispatch his quarry no probs in all fairness he turns his paw to everything & that’s why I want to breed hunting Lurchers off him for these reasons but it’s finding the right bitch to justify breeding him to atb cbx

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, chrisbullx said:

My mates Gwp dog is used for everything to mate ferreting,falconery,marking foxes to ground etc he will dispatch his quarry no probs in all fairness he turns his paw to everything & that’s why I want to breed hunting Lurchers off him for these reasons but it’s finding the right bitch to justify breeding him to atb cbx

Good luck with your search, sounds an ideal cross imo anyway. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, chrisbullx said:

As I haven’t got a Lurcher old enough to breed off I’d probably go for a greyhound mate but it’s sourcing a good is the problem atb cbx 

What about a really racey  coursing type bitch. There a bit more athletic than a greyhound so hopefully the pups would be a bit less cloddy 

Edited by moonlighter
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

What about a really racing coursing type bitch. There a bit more athletic than a greyhound so hopefully the pups would be a bit less cloddy 

I’ve got a cloddy heavy 8 year old with a damaged cruciate ligament still catching on rough terrain on the mountain a good well bred Gwp should be fast enough to catch atb

• Like 6