Pointer X

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my GWP X Saluki Bull Grey  he i getting on in years now not a very fast dog but a pleasure to own and work.

My bitch is great , I’m thinking putting a pure gwp over her in the future ! Should still be fast enough for what I do ! My bitch is only one I have now with old bitch injured so she’s got big boots t

when i said he was getting on in years well so am i  i have hunted with lurchers for years, collie crosses wheaten crosses and bull crosses and every thing else in between breeding a li

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Flacko said:

Cover dogs what’s your thoughts on the breeding would you add more speed or look for something on same lines of what you got atb Flacko 

I would like to add a bit of speed to the mix but if i got the right working bitch something like 3/4 greyhound i would use it.

5 hours ago, Butler said:

Any cross will hunt up if not trained correctly...

Pointers as a rules will train to a higher standard than most pure sighthounds... 

A pointer cross is far more likely to hunt up than a long dog for example. I don't doubt their abilities but personally If I wanted a lurcher for lamping I'd avoid a cross with a breed in it that was bred to use its nose. On the other hand it would probably make a good ferreting cross.

7 minutes ago, sambo123 said:

A pointer cross is far more likely to hunt up than a long dog for example. I don't doubt their abilities but personally If I wanted a lurcher for lamping I'd avoid a cross with a breed in it that was bred to use its nose. On the other hand it would probably make a good ferreting cross.

Traditional crosses like terrier and collie, are hardwired to hunt up, yet lamp fine..

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

Traditional crosses like terrier and collie, are hardwired to hunt up, yet lamp fine..

Pretty sure a Collie wasn't bred to hunt up. A terrier neither. My point is that a pointer was specifically bred to hunt up as a gun dog and use its nose to find quarry above ground. I PERSONALLY wouldn't want a breed like that in a lurcher I wanted for lamping, I'd choose a long dog over one. 

26 minutes ago, sambo123 said:

Pretty sure a Collie wasn't bred to hunt up. A terrier neither. My point is that a pointer was specifically bred to hunt up as a gun dog and use its nose to find quarry above ground. I PERSONALLY wouldn't want a breed like that in a lurcher I wanted for lamping, I'd choose a long dog over one. 

No bother. My point was other crosses hunt naturally, but lamp fine.

Also pointers or any gundog wouldn't be much good if they just did as they pleased

• Like 2
9 hours ago, sambo123 said:

Bollocks... Any x will hunt up on the lamp if you let them.... Had lurcher x Welsh hound.... Never did it.... Not for me or the lad who had him after me?

• Like 2

Dc i seen more hound in me terrier bitch than that dog lol. 

Hunting up normally due to bieng keen give a dog bit of stick so how mad he is for following on and hunting up then lol. Dogs aint silly they learn it gets put infront of them on the lamp

• Like 1

All my Dogs have been day dogs and not hunted up on the lamp , given if something hits a wood or goes around a corner they’ll have ago for little bit I’d be more upset if they stopped , 

Lately due to work Iv been walking my Pointer Xs off the lead with a lamp on the farm behind my uncles she’s run a few to ground but if I’m out proper lamping as in on the slip she hasn’t hunted up once I’m not saying I’m a great dog trainer that’s just how it’s happened haha 

• Like 5
On 20/11/2019 at 20:35, moonlighter said:

I like the sound of that. Most Lurcher’s I’ve had will follow a sent if there’s something about, but they don’t offen go searching for sent, like the way a spaniel goes or probably a pointer too (I’ve never actually seen a pointer work in the flesh, only on you tube.) When game is thin on the ground a dog that’s looks for sent would be great. 

They cover some ground .and bags of steam . not slow where game us thin on the ground .they are second to none

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sambo123 said:

Ok pal if you know best.

Do yo have any personal experience gained from owning and working this x??? 

Do you find it hard to digest, that folks who have had them, say different to your beliefs??? 

Just curious pal..... As its a forum where discussion is encouraged ?

• Like 5