Having trouble getting pup to pickup

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's past his prime and aproching 9 but he can still catch a few 

Your only 10 mins from me give me a pm and I'll take you out with my little rabbit dog, I'll help you get yours going 

Someone's got a scruffier yard than me  I'm delighted 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Loin said:

Im also looking for a companion for bitch since she only dog i have within 4-5 hours drive from sunderland 

Would love something beddy collie grey maybe bull too 

Tbh mate the dog you already got will be bang on the money once she gets going your bond with that dog will be bang on if that’s the case there’s no point In complicating things by adding twice the amount of feeding,walking hunting an up keep just yet it will teach you nothing bar you thinking this pup an the young bitch could of been better if no other distractions were in the way of things if it was me but it’s not Id put all energy in to the one bitch you have  forget about bringing a pup in just yet there’s plenty of time for that school the bitch you have now chuck plenty of lamping her get her bang on and enjoy her and what she will do for you then maybe in a couple of seasons time think about a pup to bring on  all good habits an skill in the field will an can be passed on to the pup

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Loin said:

Opened my eyes right up hahahaha ill give my self 2 year to learn the craft then get another pup and try to master it 

I'd gi usen at least 10 then u may still.know feck all  ? just tek you time mate lol I e done about 20 and I'm sure I know less than when I started ?

• Haha 3

Same here blacky been at it since a was a teenager 45 now don’t time fly when your having fun Christ be 20 20 in a wee while an bye feck how things have changed for the worse I don’t envy young boys like the op starting with lurchers or terriers today was hard game then even harder now eh

• Like 3

I'd get it out ferretting..... When it's pinning them in the nets confidently..... Start lifting them and letting it have a run on the bolters.... Will lose a few but penny will drop soon enough ?

Jcm has offered to teach you the lamping game fair play to him?..... Just remember... Mouth shut, ears and eyes open.... Never go back unless invited ?

Forget about getting another dog until you got this one going.... Enjoy it for a few seasons first..... Make your mistakes on this one? good luck and enjoy ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

Same here blacky been at it since a was a teenager 45 now don’t time fly when your having fun Christ be 20 20 in a wee while an bye feck how things have changed for the worse I don’t envy young boys like the op starting with lurchers or terriers today was hard game then even harder now eh

Mind u be good 2 have the time back daft as a brush not giving 2 

These days I'm far 2 sensible and law abiding ??

51 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Mind u be good 2 have the time back daft as a brush not giving 2 

These days I'm far 2 sensible and law abiding ??

Il never grow up mate still feel 18 my mrs asked me the other night if a could go back and change anything in my life.... nah feck that that’s what makes you the man you are today so f**k that..... tweet tweet 

• Like 3

Had a bitch that never took a mouthful of game, me and the lad I got her from tried for three seasons to get her going but it never happened which was a shame because this bitch could run seen her run past good dogs to get behind stuff but would never make the strike. 

4 hours ago, Loin said:

Im also looking for a companion for bitch since she only dog i have within 4-5 hours drive from sunderland 

Would love something beddy collie grey maybe bull too 

Only been into the dogs about 4 years myself mate and I’ve just got a young one I’m bringing on this season and he 12 months. Reason I got him was as my older dog layed up a couple of times last season and I like to be out but even this season there’s times that I’ve thought to myself things would be a little easier with just the one but also a blessing as at the minute my older dogs just ripped his nail completely off so he resting but deffo atlest think with your dog only been young you be better stick with the one or if you really have to like I probably would have when I was 23 get yourself a little busher if your into daytime walks and put some stuff up for your young dog. I learnt most stuff by just getting out me and my dog for 3 seasons 5,6,7 times a week. You’ll learn off each other but 2 runners will deffo complicate things for you. Atb Igz

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Balaur said:

I've been there, nothing more frustrating than a physically capable dog not striking or not being able to make the leap between chase and catch. Ive known a couple of dogs decent on bunnies still unable to connect with bigger stuff, lack of prey drive? Association? Nurture or nature? Don't know but it's maddening for sure....

I helped a lad out bout 5 years ago witch a bitch was running stuff almost to a stand still and not picking anything up. 

A says I'll slip diesel in see what she does when he catches it. Slips diesel and his bitch and diesel caught the rabbit bitch ripped it out of his mouth, must of thought that's mine get off. 

From then on she picked up no problem. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Balaur said:

I've been there, nothing more frustrating than a physically capable dog not striking or not being able to make the leap between chase and catch. Ive known a couple of dogs decent on bunnies still unable to connect with bigger stuff, lack of prey drive? Association? Nurture or nature? Don't know but it's maddening for sure....

Yea it’s definitely a hard watch, the bitch I had had real potential if her speed, agility and breeding behind her was anything to go by but the fcuking thing just wouldn’t open her mouth, a real pleasant dog to be around as well as kennelling well in fact she had everything going for her but her gob. Lol. 

• Like 2