Rats around chickens

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try a Cage trap Mate !once it has Weathered  it will  catch the lot in safety  Then chuck them in a Box with them Moggys   to wake the Bastuds up 

Just find an old plastic container,...pre-bait for a few days until you get definite take, then set your trap to kill...?

We only have a collie, and while it's generally an intelligent breed we have the one who drags the average down.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

On a lot of contracts we now use AF Atom bait stations with snap e rat traps in them no bait on the trap.

These have delivered an exceptional catch rate which is in some respects is difficult to understand.

They are a bait station with all the issues of neophobia as a standard LP bait station with bait but they are so more effective.

On a number of contracts where LP bait stations never showed anything but mice activity within weeks of substituting them for AF Atom bait stations with traps I started catching rats.

There must be something with the straight throw access of the AF atoms which are far more acceptable to a rat than the LP type bait station.

I like the live cage traps,unlike rabbits, rats usually fall for it.Then you can throw the cage in a bucket or release to the terriers.If you catch a native bird or animal you can release it unharmed,I always use peanut butter for bait.

Edited by Aussie Whip
10 hours ago, budgie123 said:

On a lot of contracts we now use AF Atom bait stations with snap e rat traps in them no bait on the trap.

These have delivered an exceptional catch rate which is in some respects is difficult to understand.

They are a bait station with all the issues of neophobia as a standard LP bait station with bait but they are so more effective.

On a number of contracts where LP bait stations never showed anything but mice activity within weeks of substituting them for AF Atom bait stations with traps I started catching rats.

There must be something with the straight throw access of the AF atoms which are far more acceptable to a rat than the LP type bait station.

The LP stations I've seen don't have a clear run through like the Atom. Maybe that's the reason why they aren't effective as the Atom. Rats have no problem going through tunnels where they can see light coming through.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Put the bait under the trap, no on it. Nothing hard under the treadle though as that might stop it moving enough to trip. Also, check the surfaces of the treadle hook and the brass flap to make sure there is nothing rough that might cause it to jam. I smoothed mine off with a file then emery cloth. Then set the trigger right at the last part just before it will set the trap off.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 2

At this point I think I'm just feeding a rat.  You can see him sitting on the treadle eating the bait underneath it.

I did the gentle tapping thing but it still doesn't react. 

Edited by davethe
video seems to have disappeared

It isn't going onto the treadle. It is able to reach the bait without going onto the plate  You need to set up the trap so that the rat has to step down onto the treadle.

Make the trap safe and take it up. Put some bait on the floor where the trap will cover it up. Use something soft like peanut butter, chocolate spread or a small piece of bacon laid flat. Replace the trap and take the safety hook off.

Don't beat yourself up about it though because you are almost there. The rat is used to going into the trap so that is actually the hard part done.

• Like 2