Rats around chickens

We have a smallholding, and we have chickens, so we have rats.  We also have three cats, but while they're pretty good at bringing back mice-sized prey, rarely do they kill rats.

The chickens have a small brick shed and an outside area, and you can see tunnels going down under the building here and there.  The chickens are fed by a treadle feeder, so there's not loads of chicken feed around for the rats, but I guess there's enough of something to keep them in the area.

I've tried spring traps a few times, in areas away from the chickens where I was also able to exclude the cats, and didn't have much luck.  I can't use those near the chickens of course.

I'm not keen on poisoning them with the chickens, cats and a collie who loves eating all sorts of filth.

I have an air rifle, but it's not hi-tech and I'm not a great shot.

I realise I'm probably asking how to deal with them while also shutting down the normal ways of dealing with them.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try a Cage trap Mate !once it has Weathered  it will  catch the lot in safety  Then chuck them in a Box with them Moggys   to wake the Bastuds up 

Just find an old plastic container,...pre-bait for a few days until you get definite take, then set your trap to kill...?

We only have a collie, and while it's generally an intelligent breed we have the one who drags the average down.

Posted Images

got chickens had the odd rat or 2 have covered holes and filled with block poison have also used various types of traps the best was an electronic one that electrocuted the rat but broke when it got wet , no magical cure im afraid

44 minutes ago, Gooner said:

I'm not an expert but I would use fen traps with tunnels over so that the chickens can't get caught.

Place traps and tunnel along the runs should get results soon?

Tunnels over?  Something specific, or just "a big old flowerpot with holes in, pegged down" type affair?

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Just make a tunnel out of wire mate? Can see if traps been set off at a distance aswell so stop you disturbing them2767806A-58DF-4EA7-BC50-3302741E07AA.jpeg.ab112ac8db425958bc86aeadb2198a31.jpeg

photo borrowed off google to show you the idea?

I made some similar ones out of welded garden mesh that I'd bought to make swim feeders for fishing. I put a ridge tile over the top to keep most of the rain out.

• Like 1

(Coo, Nicepix in my thread.  I followed all your putange videos and caught ~40 moles here over the last year.  My hay is much better this year for not being full of mole hills.  Thank you.)

I've ordered a Fenn mk4. 

I'm guessing "what bait?" is a personal preference thing loaded with opinions.  I did catch one with a bit of Snickers once.

• Like 1

You are welcome. Glad you have had some benefit out of using  Putanges. ?

If you are using a Mk. 4 trap for rats then I would suspend a couple of Frolicks dog biscuits over the treadle using a short length of fence wire. These biscuits have a strong smell and rats love them. And if you cover the trap to keep most of the rain out you only need change the biscuits every two or three weeks. (They are also brilliant baits for carp, chub and barbel). Make sure that you recess the trap as in Katchum's photo by placing a couple of flat pieces of wood to raise the trap floor either side of the treadle. It is better for the treadle to be lower, not higher than the floor of the trap.

• Like 1