Amber Filter

Hi lads. Does anyone use amber filters instead of red? I’ve got a tracer 170 and rabbits eyes don’t seem to shine with a red filter, to me anyways. This lamp replaced a PLR 500, even though it was really dim with the red filter on, rabbits eyes shone like Ruby’s to me. 

Been thinking of getting an amber filter, was just wondering how they’re rated.

I’ve used a red filter for years on a little modified cluelite that worked well but soon as I got a 170 variable copy that I use now I found the red filter was rubbish so I binned it blaming the filter an opted for a amber but to be honest with you a amber is no better a little better but not much I just use the clear bean I dim it right down scan the field if I see a target go to full power beam I think the problem with 170 or bigger lamps the beam pattern is to large for a filter to work as effectively it clouds the beam out to much as say a 140 with a filter that’s a small reflective beam I can’t comment to much on the new LED lamps a mate has one I can’t see feck all down one of them as the lights to white for my eyes to focus correctly to me the center of the beam looks burnt out so if it’s directly on a target I can’t see the target till it’s moving 

8 minutes ago, poxon said:

I’ve used a red filter for years on a little modified cluelite that worked well but soon as I got a 170 variable copy that I use now I found the red filter was rubbish so I binned it blaming the filter an opted for a amber but to be honest with you a amber is no better a little better but not much I just use the clear bean I dim it right down scan the field if I see a target go to full power beam I think the problem with 170 or bigger lamps the beam pattern is to large for a filter to work as effectively it clouds the beam out to much as say a 140 with a filter that’s a small reflective beam I can’t comment to much on the new LED lamps a mate has one I can’t see feck all down one of them as the lights to white for my eyes to focus correctly to me the center of the beam looks burnt out so if it’s directly on a target I can’t see the target till it’s moving 

Cheers for the reply pal. I got rid of the LED because of the pure white beam too. My mate uses one though and catches a lot with it. My 170 is variable too, Just find it hard to spot rabbits eyes. The clulite lazerlites any good?

10 hours ago, MikeyMJL said:

Cheers for the reply pal. I got rid of the LED because of the pure white beam too. My mate uses one though and catches a lot with it. My 170 is variable too, Just find it hard to spot rabbits eyes. The clulite lazerlites any good?

No problem mate.my mate does well with his LED lamp as well I think it’s just my eye sight tbh because I don’t use one find it hard to adapt. With your 170 have you had a play about with the focus of the beam to tighten the beam up you can spin the head of the lamp to adjust the focus? The little cluelite was good it was converted to a blazerlite light with 100w bulb an alloy reflecting backing I filed the adjustable beam slot out it had a alright beam to be honest it was tight but distance wasn’t as good as the more modern lamps being a small lamp but ran forever with 22amp lithium battery I had some good nights with that little lamp an good to bung inside the jacket going from spot to spot

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Never had a problem with Amber the dog and you can see a lot more frhd never been a problem as the season goes i do go to a darker filter but I find it Better for youngsters starting of 

Do you find eyes shine better with amber than red?

1 hour ago, poxon said:

No problem mate.my mate does well with his LED lamp as well I think it’s just my eye sight tbh because I don’t use one find it hard to adapt. With your 170 have you had a play about with the focus of the beam to tighten the beam up you can spin the head of the lamp to adjust the focus? The little cluelite was good it was converted to a blazerlite light with 100w bulb an alloy reflecting backing I filed the adjustable beam slot out it had a alright beam to be honest it was tight but distance wasn’t as good as the more modern lamps being a small lamp but ran forever with 22amp lithium battery I had some good nights with that little lamp an good to bung inside the jacket going from spot to spot

Yeah that’s half the problem, I find myself playing with the spread and the brightness too much. How do you set the head of your lamp, tight like a pencil beam or more wider? I prefer it wider tbh, but you can’t control rabbits as well at the hedgerows. Funnily enough last night I put a brand new bulb in, but left the pins out 2mm and that’s made a difference to the beam. 

2 hours ago, MikeyMJL said:

Yeah that’s half the problem, I find myself playing with the spread and the brightness too much. How do you set the head of your lamp, tight like a pencil beam or more wider? I prefer it wider tbh, but you can’t control rabbits as well at the hedgerows. Funnily enough last night I put a brand new bulb in, but left the pins out 2mm and that’s made a difference to the beam. 

I set mine up against the fence down the garden put it on full power get the beam tight as it will go then back it off half a turn seems to work well for me the beam is not as focused as it’ll go an not as wide it’s between both I do used the dimmer a lot I don’t just have it full power I scan the field close then work my way out on to full power turning it with my thumb I’ve got used to using the variable well I think it’s set up to still be powerful enough to disorientate rabbits so they bounce the hedge row if the dogs not quite were she needs to be to turn them back in the field her self .I think my personal concussion on filters on a variable lamp are there pretty pointless Tbh as there not a clear white light there almost like a yellow light plus the variable does the job of filter 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, poxon said:

I set mine up against the fence down the garden put it on full power get the beam tight as it will go then back it off half a turn seems to work well for me the beam is not as focused as it’ll go an not as wide it’s between both I do used the dimmer a lot I don’t just have it full power I scan the field close then work my way out on to full power turning it with my thumb I’ve got used to using the variable well I think it’s set up to still be powerful enough to disorientate rabbits so they bounce the hedge row if the dogs not quite were she needs to be to turn them back in the field her self .I think my personal concussion on filters on a variable lamp are there pretty pointless Tbh as there not a clear white light there almost like a yellow light plus the variable does the job of filter 

Appreciate the reply. I lamp on my own, I don’t get to speak to people about these technicalities! I’ve never had any problems once the chase is on with this lamp, my only issue is the eyes shining. Instead of buying a filter, I’ve just ordered a red led torch off amazon for the same price. It comes with a pressure switch, so I’m going to rig it up on the lamp so I have a red torch to scan for eyes, then flick the tracer on when the dogs slipped. 

I use green on striker when lamping from motor around permissions works well but use red on lightforce blitz 240  when in foot  work well never tried amber tho I tried blue and it seem to cut through but fog but either red green suits me mate