Family history.

21 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Mines from Norse Viking pre 7 th century my surnames a annum gram of Viking meaning elder chief when my cousin traced it back a slightly different spelling surname but meaning the same  it was  one of a Viking warlord and the names popular in the isle of man quite interesting when I look at it 

Interesting that. 

It would stand to reason, the vikings had a major impact on the British isles.

My family name, and my mother's maiden name  before it was changed slightly,  as your own one was, can traced back to vikings that fought with brain bru. 

Atb j 

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gone back nearly 60 years and found me dad ???

I wouldn’t know, Scotland Yard have all the pictures of my mob ! Lol lol 

I think so. But from your point of view it is better to tell your mates that you are descended from heroic  ice-age hunter-gatherers rather than some wop waiter from Benidorm.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jetro said:

Interesting that. 

It would stand to reason, the vikings had a major impact on the British isles.

My family name, and my mother's maiden name  before it was changed slightly,  as your own one was, can traced back to vikings that fought with brain bru. 

The  first record of my surname was in 1172. They were chiefs in Southern ireland. 

I can trace my mother's maiden name back to 1014

Atb j 

22 hours ago, Meece said:

Tracing family trees is difficult .  Back when the population was less literate than it is now, ( hard to believe when you see the spelling and grammar in some/ most of the post on here,??) names were misspelt and sons and daughters had the same first name as their mother or father. This makes it difficult to follow the line. I did a bit and the learning curve on these ancestry sites is pretty steep.  It surprised me that things that the olds had said suddenly became key pieces in the puzzle. I found  links on my Father's side that went back to the 1500s in the  Birmingham area and also to the 1700s in the Suffolk area as flour millers.  On Mothers side my grandfather was killed in the first world war and is planted out in a cemetery near Bethune in France.  Her family were sheep farmers from the Romney marsh area and smugglers.allegedly one was hanged for rustling and moving boundaries. My family name is one that came over with William The Conqueror  and an area in northern France.  This area had been overrun by the Vikings in previous times.  This could account for the fact that our family is blue eyed and blonde and we have been born with an axe.  Or it could be anything.  Mother did tell me when I was a young lad that I  was a black hearted Bast.  Nice of her wasn't it !  

Norman's were Vikings mate. So you got it from both ends ?

21 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Actually I got it wrong. It was the Basques who migrated up the Atlantic seaboard, not the Catalonians. I have just been applying for and downloading a fishing licence for Catalonia and that had stuck in my mind, but it wasn't them, it was the Basques who's DNA is embedded right up the Bay of Biscay, into Brittany and Normandy, Cornwall, west Wales and into Ireland and the South-West of Scotland.

A lot of people wonder why they have 'Viking' ancestor. What that relates to is that the Scandinavians who travelled extensively. Just before the Norman Conquest there were two large Danish settlements in York and Dublin. They populated most of the eastern side of England and also the north, right across to Cumbria. They also sailed down the North Sea and up the French Rivers including the Loire, Gironne and their tributaries. I live half-way down France and over 100 miles from the sea, but in the 11th century the Danes pillaged many of the towns and cities local to us. They even went into the Mediterranean and also traded using land routes into Asia and North Africa. A lot of their weapons and jewellery came from those trading routes and they also brought back spices such as cumin. They also brought back slaves, many of them women and that would explain some of the DNA traces found. The ones that Max mentioned about Nth African tribes having DNA traces in Scottish samples could be down to slaves brought  by Romans and captured by Scottish raiding parties, or left behind when the Romans retreated. 

It is a fascinating subject.

Was just about to correct you on that lol it was the northern iberians but that also includes what would be called Catalans too. Basque are a world of their own but if I remember correctly, they share a genetic link with the celts (Ancient Britons after the ice age). The language however is a completely different story... I've heard all sorts of crackpot theories, to explain it but one stands out to me as plausible... the language isn't indo-eurasian because it was already here when that language family arrived here. So it's very possible that Basque is the last surviving dialect of the ice age hunter gatherers of Europe.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mushroom said:

Norman's were Vikings mate. So you got it from both ends ?

Was just about to correct you on that lol it was the northern iberians but that also includes what would be called Catalans too. Basque are a world of their own but if I remember correctly, they share a genetic link with the celts (Ancient Britons after the ice age). The language however is a completely different story... I've heard all sorts of crackpot theories, to explain it but one stands out to me as plausible... the language isn't indo-eurasian because it was already here when that language family arrived here. So it's very possible that Basque is the last surviving dialect of the ice age hunter gatherers of Europe.

Watching a documentary not long ago about Celts, and it claimed that the Celts first spread across Europe from Austria region.  That all celtic people were the same, but broke off into differant tribe's.

Atb j 

2 hours ago, mushroom said:

They have the same type of Celtic games as you jocks mate.

The funny thing is they even act like us, in a weird way their culture is like a mix of all ours (original) but also completely different. 

Scrapping outside tapas bars at 3am?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

I thought you finally admitted to being bred down from a long line of Scrapmen ' not Coalmen.

They'd of been a class above ?

Not in doing a shift cooking fried rice with your brother in law tonight mouth breather ? 
Now, leave me out of your nonsense there’s a good lad.

• Haha 2