Straps on a Cumbrian Basket

Arry

46 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Is that the deciding factor ?. 

Well having had a masterhunter set up for over 15 years the nets are not the deciding factor imho, his basket makes the difference nothing sticking up to hold the poles . the poles sit below where the net is fed in behind it closer to your body. running out you put your first pole in walking backwards with your hands flat on the basket and the poles come up to your hand. Simple                                                                        Y.I.S .Leeview

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well  I tried it today and for me it works, just wants some refining. A lot easier on the neck. Cheers Arry  

how much netting are you putting in mate, i like the 4z, that knocks a bit of weight off and i also set my poles at 6yds. I only use my big basket when i need a load of netting, normally i jst take 2

We are all different, I personally prefer my style of basket, the medium one is my go to basket when i'm out on my own. I've made quite a few other types of baskets over the years, some were good, som

Posted Images

2 hours ago, smithie said:

Important bit is the net. Nelson does 4z master hunter does not.

I've got an old 4oz quickset and they certainly hold the bunnies well but at this time of year they pick up more crap like leaves twigs etc as well. I use it now and again in the latter months of the season where there is not so much crap on the ground. Again it's personal preference 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Can someone enlighten a trad netter what the difference is between a master hunter and a Nels0n basket (system) ? Pics would help .??

Not sure about Nelsons but he has certainly got a good reputation. Here is  a pic of my my 100yd quickset as you can see there is nothing in the way or anything for the net to snag on in or out. It depends how often you are going to use it and whether it's for day or night time use.  It's only something simple but I like them with a bit of 8-9mm thick elastic either side so when you tie it over either end of your poles then even on the darkest night or not looking you can feel the knot it makes with your fingers and don't have to have any light on and it really grips them. For me if I can put a 100yd long net out in a few mins at night with very rarely any issues then I'm happy. Also bear in mind that mine get a lot of use at night as have plenty of places to go and as with everything in life practice makes perfect. 

I took one lad out about a year ago and it took him 5 mins just to untie the string on his poles asked me if I had a knife or a pair of scissors lol. 

IMG-20191123-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191123-WA0002.jpg

2 hours ago, smithie said:

Important bit is the net. Nelson does 4z master hunter does not.

The important thing is the system as a whole and whether it works for you. I like the longer metal poles so you don't have to bend forward and you are always upright and they are also sturdier and don't bend. Also how much bagging they have as when I first got one years ago when i didnt have much experience and was going out quite often and hardly got anything and I had seen the bunnies running down the hill towards it so I took my lamp one night and they were just bouncing off it like a tennis net and I didn't know why.

The best game changer I've found for long netting is using a thermal to see where the rabbits are and what they are up to as some of them are clever little buggers and it saves you lots of time and messing about as no point running your net out if a fox or dog walker etc has just cleared the field 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Is that the deciding factor ?. 

If i was to buy a quickset then it probably would be the deciding factor for me.  You can have the best basket in the world but it's the net that holds the rabbit.

Others can buy what they want, it's their money.

• Like 3

I like 4 z personally, use it in woods around gorse etc, they pull up better, lighter to carry, im not bothered about having to pick a few sticks and twigs out. When they get damaged i just nail knot the meshes back together. Got some that have had some hammer the last few years, i run them out in the field every few months and fix any holes, they been fixed loads of times but still catch no bother.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wilbs said:

Not sure about Nelsons but he has certainly got a good reputation. Here is  a pic of my my 100yd quickset as you can see there is nothing in the way or anything for the net to snag on in or out. It depends how often you are going to use it and whether it's for day or night time use.  It's only something simple but I like them with a bit of 8-9mm thick elastic either side so when you tie it over either end of your poles then even on the darkest night or not looking you can feel the knot it makes with your fingers and don't have to have any light on and it really grips them. For me if I can put a 100yd long net out in a few mins at night with very rarely any issues then I'm happy. Also bear in mind that mine get a lot of use at night as have plenty of places to go and as with everything in life practice makes perfect. 

I took one lad out about a year ago and it took him 5 mins just to untie the string on his poles asked me if I had a knife or a pair of scissors lol. 

IMG-20191123-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191123-WA0002.jpg

i just use the fibre poles but i cut them at 1 meter i think the shorter ones (830mm i think) are to short, for soft ground etc they are to short, the extra is length is handy for getting more in the ground in woods etc. also handy for slipping up the back of netting etc to keep the poles taught. Just my personal opinion.

I am ferreting tomorrow at a place were i use a load of net, taking all my nets so the big basket gets a run out. Got it out earlier and was having a little look at some sort of weight aid. Personally i dont find it to heavy even fully loaded but as said when taking time to take sticks out and taking time it can be a little heavy on the neck. I think a remedy can be easily sorted. I would make a harness out of car seat belt material ( similar to the purse net harness off torchy) and put on 2 rings and quick release clips were my hands are on the pic. Just clip it on when needed to the framework of the basket and it will help take the weight of the strap on your neck. Will have to be at the correct height. I dont need one but i might have a go at making one because i am interested. The basket is only 6mm stainless steel and very light.

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

• Like 1
On 23/11/2019 at 19:08, smithie said:

If i was to buy a quickset then it probably would be the deciding factor for me.  You can have the best basket in the world but it's the net that holds the rabbit.

Others can buy what they want, it's their money.

We are all different, I personally prefer my style of basket, the medium one is my go to basket when i'm out on my own. I've made quite a few other types of baskets over the years, some were good, some bad. I made a few identical to the master hunter basket, it works better than the standard baskets but I didnt get on with them and gave them away to an old boy down wiltshire way.  With regards to the netting, to me its the most important part. I've had my nets made with quality nylon, plus a few other tweaks, makes it soft as silk and ive added a little more depth than the standard gear others use. 

comparison .jpg

• Like 4
On 26/11/2019 at 05:43, SINDASOX said:

Wilbs there doesn't look to be much room from the pics you posted on the masterhunter basket to slot the poles in, how many poles are in that pic you posted above as there doesn't look that many in there at all.

SINDASOX

Bit of a.delay in replying pal been a bit busy. Took a closer up pic for you there are 13 poles and where the poles sit there is a kind of dip which is quite wide and they just drop in, you could say it looks a bit messy but it works and the poles never fall out. Have done a little drawing lol to give you a better idea

Dont take the p*** out my drawing lol

IMG-20191203-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191203-WA0002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well still using the blue straps I put on and got to say works well for me. I've put two loops of nylon cord on instead of clipping to the frame, this has made it easier to clip up and unclip. Also I didn't want to damage the powder coat. I'm thinking of putting a couple of bits of strap with a strong net ring, just to sort of refining it.

IMG_1042.jpeg.06cc637dd4e86b3002e1ea267f50d636.jpeg

IMG_1042.jpeg.06cc637dd4e86b3002e1ea267f50d636.jpeg

IMG_1043.jpeg.e39db7e292f540942f8a8a3cd7e1139a.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 1