Straps on a Cumbrian Basket

Arry

4 hours ago, TOMO said:

I can say as I have ever felt it in my neck.....even yesterday when I was out using the 100 yarder in the big basket ...and my little 20yarders in there small basket...I thought about this thread and was trying to work out why it wasn't hurting my neck....perhaps I carry them different ...

I realised the strap is lower across my shoulders rather than high up on my neck....and basket is at a slight angle ...and pull the net in like this....

Perhaps it's just because I'm a old fecker Tomo I don't know, but my mate moans as well. I tried to get all sorts of way of trying to spread the load tried getting the strap as low as I can to no avail. No problem shooting the net it's the picking up, mind we do hedges and after flailing you pick up black thorn bits even if you have tried to clear the area first. I'm new to quick sets only last year it was all conventional before that and they were in plastic boxes on straps just around the neck, I didn't have a problem with them, but of coarse there was not the weight of the poles. Just trying to make them more comfortable, I thought somebody might have been here before so to speak.

Cheers Arry

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well  I tried it today and for me it works, just wants some refining. A lot easier on the neck. Cheers Arry  

how much netting are you putting in mate, i like the 4z, that knocks a bit of weight off and i also set my poles at 6yds. I only use my big basket when i need a load of netting, normally i jst take 2

We are all different, I personally prefer my style of basket, the medium one is my go to basket when i'm out on my own. I've made quite a few other types of baskets over the years, some were good, som

Posted Images

looks like I have the longneters neck to look forward to as I get older Arry...:cry:..wonder if it will become a thing...like elbow tendonitis called tennis elbow ...lol..

looks like a good compromise you have come up with though....that's what I like about this site..little ideas like that ..that we don't think of....like the plastic tubs liflelong cumbrian made .....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TOMO said:

looks like I have the longneters neck to look forward to as I get older Arry...:cry:..wonder if it will become a thing...like elbow tendonitis called tennis elbow ...lol..

looks like a good compromise you have come up with though....that's what I like about this site..little ideas like that ..that we don't think of....like the plastic tubs liflelong cumbrian made .....

what you using quick sets for tomo hedgerows? 

1 minute ago, fred90 said:

what you using quick sets for tomo hedgerows? 

yeh you can....right at the mo most of our rabbit bashing is up north on the field sets....so of course its a dam site easier ....but I use them down here as well....

weather its trad or quick set....when that netting touches the ground round a hedge....its a blood pain...

• Like 2

I do a lot of night time long netting and to be truthful the quickest and most efficient system I've found is the Master Hunter it's maybe not for everyone but I can do it with my eyes closed and it never catches on anything and I like the longer sturdier poles.

My mate who does the shows who also makes them gives me grief about not having one of his but I would never use anything else as it literally takes minutes to put out and put away that's just my personal choice and as I do a lot of long netting at night i am always out with one.

I've got a brand new 100yd quick set made by someone else that i kept out of a load of stuff i bought I was going to keep it but tried it out and it took me 2 to 3 times longer to put out so if anyone is after a brand new one it's going cheap at £100 it's made by RF! They are £250 delivered. Have also got a 50yd one for £60

• Like 1
15 hours ago, wilbs said:

I do a lot of night time long netting and to be truthful the quickest and most efficient system I've found is the Master Hunter it's maybe not for everyone but I can do it with my eyes closed and it never catches on anything and I like the longer sturdier poles.

My mate who does the shows who also makes them gives me grief about not having one of his but I would never use anything else as it literally takes minutes to put out and put away that's just my personal choice and as I do a lot of long netting at night i am always out with one.

I've got a brand new 100yd quick set made by someone else that i kept out of a load of stuff i bought I was going to keep it but tried it out and it took me 2 to 3 times longer to put out so if anyone is after a brand new one it's going cheap at £100 it's made by RF! They are £250 delivered. Have also got a 50yd one for £60

I have a 20yrd stopnet made by master hunter....and I must say I like it a lot....I actualy won it at the midland ..I entered the net making comp and came 3rd it was one of the prizes that year....

my mate who is very handy at welding ...then copied the master hunter basket...and I like that too...I carry that 20yarder a 10 yarder and 30 in that little basket....

• Like 1

I suppose everyone has their personal preference but I just like where there is no straps or anything in.the way as you can get the net down quicker hopefully getting a few more bunnies. It's not the easiest method for getting right conditions but I must say when it works it's one of my favourite methods I would rather get 10 in the net than just popping them off with a rifle. Good idea on that basket Tomo but if I had to be really picky and make a slight adjustment the V bit that the poles sit in I would prefer that to be just an inch or two lower down. I only ever use 100yd nets so you've got a lot of net and poles to put away and that would make it definitely help. 

4 minutes ago, fred90 said:

has anyone had to run and climb hedges, fences at speed with these things? 

Many moons ago I started with a basket from the chaps up north and soon found out it wernt exactly what I needed, you can’t run with one and getting through a hedge with one made more noise than I’d care to say ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wish I had a sore neck from netting. Not enough bunnies around here to have that problem! Not even enough runs to keep a dog fit. Thankfully lamping fox with a dog is still legal here and you would get 3 runs on a windy night.