Straps on a Cumbrian Basket

Arry

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well  I tried it today and for me it works, just wants some refining. A lot easier on the neck. Cheers Arry  

how much netting are you putting in mate, i like the 4z, that knocks a bit of weight off and i also set my poles at 6yds. I only use my big basket when i need a load of netting, normally i jst take 2

We are all different, I personally prefer my style of basket, the medium one is my go to basket when i'm out on my own. I've made quite a few other types of baskets over the years, some were good, som

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, jiggy said:

An adapted strimmer harness would have the padding!

If you try it mate Jiggy put some pic up will you mate, I would like to crack this one. Have you a picture of the harness you are on about ? I like the idea of a bit of padding.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
On 14/11/2019 at 19:31, W. Katchum said:

Them baskets that rack poles ontop are smart, never really had a problem with one I use but that is deffo progress ??  if I ever decide on another I’d want one them baskets to try ?

I found them too fiddly katch. Got mine from Les, well made but I found it took longer to pick up the nets. I've gone back to the older baskets with the wider channels for the poles, just drop them in and keep in place with short bungees to stop them coming out if you drop it.

Thinking about flogging the baskets.

• Thanks 1

So you just use the extra strap to lift the net, not carrying it around. I use 4z net as i have said makes a fair bit of difference in weight and for me performance. When the basket is full with 2 slots full there is a hell of a lot of netting in it, whatever basket you use it is going to be on the heavy side with all that netting in. On the original i have a band on the bottom which helps plus i have it perfectly balanced when full of net. I only ever use my big basket when i need all that net.

fullsizeoutput_22.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

So you just use the extra strap to lift the net, not carrying it around. I use 4z net as i have said makes a fair bit of difference in weight and for me performance. When the basket is full with 2 slots full there is a hell of a lot of netting in it, whatever basket you use it is going to be on the heavy side with all that netting in. On the original i have a band on the bottom which helps plus i have it perfectly balanced when full of net. I only ever use my big basket when i need all that net.

fullsizeoutput_22.jpeg

I have two quick sets mate all 4z, a basket with two fifths and a smaller basket with a seventy five all full bag. I'm 68  now and find the strain on my neck a bit much especially when picking up if there is sticks etc in the net that slow you down. it's mostly hedges we do and this time of year they flail the hedges bits and pieces every where mostly black thorn, bit of a bugger. I'm looking for something to transfer the weight from my neck to my shoulders, this is my first attempt and a bit rudimentary. The blue straps hanging down the back I can reach and clip on, so I'm not a million miles away I don't think. But was hoping somebody had already cracked this.

You say you have a band on the bottom which helps, have you a picture mate as I'm most interested. Atb.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I know it is more coin to shell out but i much prefer to take a couple of small baskets with the 48yds in, i set my nets at 6yds. I do hedgerows myself, with the 2 little baskets you can run how ever much netting you need to cover the set then lay the basket down as you will know. much more versatile than the big basket.

o 004.JPG

DSC_0834.JPG

• Like 1

I can say as I have ever felt it in my neck.....even yesterday when I was out using the 100 yarder in the big basket ...and my little 20yarders in there small basket...I thought about this thread and was trying to work out why it wasn't hurting my neck....perhaps I carry them different ...

I realised the strap is lower across my shoulders rather than high up on my neck....and basket is at a slight angle ...and pull the net in like this....

• Like 1