Straps on a Cumbrian Basket

Arry

Lads have any you guys managed to alter the straps so they don't give your neck f**k. I've only recently changed to quick sets nets, and yea they are good. But when picking up especially if there is some sticks etc in the net it gives my neck some stick, mind I am getting on a bit. I have thought about a strap from the bottom of one corner of the basket through the neck strap and then back down too the other corner, just thinking on a quick release method.

Cheers Arry

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well  I tried it today and for me it works, just wants some refining. A lot easier on the neck. Cheers Arry  

how much netting are you putting in mate, i like the 4z, that knocks a bit of weight off and i also set my poles at 6yds. I only use my big basket when i need a load of netting, normally i jst take 2

We are all different, I personally prefer my style of basket, the medium one is my go to basket when i'm out on my own. I've made quite a few other types of baskets over the years, some were good, som

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Chaff said:

I taped a bit of pipe lagging on the strap to stop it digging in the back of my neck, if thats any help to you carry.

I'm thinking of trying to get my shoulders to take the weight not my neck, if you get were I'm coming from.

Cheers Arry

Yes Arry I know what your saying mate, I  haven't seen anyone using anything different, i m going to sound a right lightweight here but anyway I did have two fifty yard quick sets and changed them for twenty fives found that more manageable and useful. Anything bigger my mate has around 800yards of traditional, now that is hard work packing up.

Give it some thought maybe a harness type thing the chainsaw boys wear ?

1 hour ago, Chaff said:

Let us know how you get on Arry. A fella I was out with last year had what was like a chippys tool pouch but made especially for purse nets I borrowed it and would recommend if you don't have one spot on it was mate

I tried it indoors, put it on then clipped the two hooks on the lower rail and it took all the weight of my neck. The only drawback I can see is the basket is tilted very slightly forward.

If we are doing big burrows and need extra nets we use them Jack Pike falconry jackets get loads of nets in them mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Arry said:

I tried it indoors, put it on then clipped the two hooks on the lower rail and it took all the weight of my neck. The only drawback I can see is the basket is tilted very slightly forward.

If we are doing big burrows and need extra nets we use them Jack Pike falconry jackets get loads of nets in them mate.

Cheers Arry

What would be a big burrow for you Arry ? We do some 70 or more hole burrows and even then can't get to  them all, we just hope for a backnet job or the dogs run them into longnets 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Chaff said:

What would be a big burrow for you Arry ? We do some 70 or more hole burrows and even then can't get to  them all, we just hope for a backnet job or the dogs run them into longnets 

We don't have many like that but yea about 100 open ground one is the biggest. We used to net every hole on a few hedges where the whole hedge was one huge burrow that used to take all our nets 150+ and we would run out. Now we use long nets and run nets every 10 yards or so, poke nets are brilliant for the centre of the hedge, I had never seen one or heard of till a year or two back. Thats something the lads on here helped me with and thanks to them. A really useful net to have in your arsenal.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
Just now, NELS0N said:

I have tried a few methods to overcome this issue arry,  a harness or hip pad is the best way to go IMO. 

Hi mate how is your back now?

Going to give the straps with hooks on a try, tried it at home and all the weight seems to be on my shoulders, you can reach the two straps quite easy and then just clip them on to the edge of the flat bottom support.

Cheers Arry

1 minute ago, Chaff said:

Don't own any of them poke nets will look them up I got just regular purse nets some a bit bigger than others. Got given a ditch net by an old boy along with a couple of fox nets

Them Poke nets are the dogs doda's for the centre of a hedge run nets, also handy if you have a large hole. Poke nets are just a large purse net with a peg at each end.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Yeah I have seen them don't think anyone I know owns one my mates got a tramel net I think its called, but rarely gets used. My mates just had his 20th kemo session so he's f****d at the moment but should be right for Jan then we'll have a go 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1