Can u keep chickens in gardan

15 minutes ago, Michael elliott said:

Can you keep chickens in your gardan on a housing estate

I have for years and ducks and goats, guess it depends on who owns the house, I own mine so I feel that entitles me to tell the neighbours to fro when they moan but if you have a landlord I guess it’s there shout ? 

I think it depends on which council and on local by laws. My dad lived in a council house and kept gamefowl all the time he was there until he died, but he would have told them to feck off anyway. Different times.

• Like 1

ive kept chickens for over 30 years but on a allotment. I dont know of any law which states you cant keep chickens in a garden i know many that do. i think problems arise if you have a cockerel or more and they crow there heads off all day. Thats when neighbour problems and complaints could arise.

• Like 2

My pal kept chicken at his council house for thirty odd year , 7 or 8 layers which kept him and his mate next door in eggs . He had them in a good run and was on the first sign of the inevitable vermin interest ..I don’t think anyone even knew they were there .He did have a tidy sized garden though .

12 hours ago, darbo said:

ive kept chickens for over 30 years but on a allotment. I dont know of any law which states you cant keep chickens in a garden i know many that do. i think problems arise if you have a cockerel or more and they crow there heads off all day. Thats when neighbour problems and complaints could arise.

I will hopefully be living on a boat by early next year and already have a chicken friendly allotment lined up ready to go, were there’s a will and all that ??

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I will hopefully be living on a boat by early next year and already have a chicken friendly allotment lined up ready to go, were there’s a will and all that ??

I’m sure I read somewhere the Dutch bantam was developed by bargees who kept them in cages onboard.?

i've had chickens at my council house for over 25yrs, had  cockerels as well...

but got a visit one day asking about the noise... they saw the hens etc and said thats a nice tidy house and run, but you can't keep a cockerel.

so i said that i would have to ring his neck then.. the look on the ladies face was horrific she said don't do that i know a farmer who might

have it,  what type is it? well it was a buff orpington. 2 days later get a phone call farmer's wife yes i will take him please...

she calls round next day takes the boy and gives me £10. she had been trying to get a cockerel for a while. so all was good.

had a few eggs hatch that year only one cockerel which i gave to the farmer 

happy ending again. still have my buff orpingtons.........

46 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I’m sure I read somewhere the Dutch bantam was developed by bargees who kept them in cages onboard.?

Have seen a few travelling boats that just put the run on the boat roof when travelling and put it on the bank when moored up works ok for two or three hens which is enough for two peoples egg needs ??

• Like 1