My good friend and shooting partner has bought the Pard unit and today we went to the RFD's indoor range (25mt) just to have a play and set zero. Now the 008 is on his rimfire .22lr so we know 25mt is far too close to be of any use BUT it was warm and dry so a good place to start off learning about the Pard.

I would say straight off that this in my mind is a really nice compact unit which is only around 500grms so lighter than most scopes. My pal and I are the wrong side of 50 (or in my case 60) so not too quick taking on new technology and with a rubbish manual chinese to english, we picked up some guidence from another forum and youtube which helped a great deal. What we did discover is that you need to get a move on once you start the zero proceedure otherwise it loses the function you were in so doing a bit then watching youtube on his phone just doesn't work.

After a few attempts my friend was getting a little frustrated so while he went out for a fag, I took over. Sometimes a fresh eye (well I only have one working properly at present) will make all the difference so with myself listening to the instructions on the phone, I started to process again and even though I say it myself, it was a smooth operation taking only a couple of minutes. I think the art of getting these little scopes set up is to fully understand what needs to be done before starting.

I am really impressed with this Pard and the ease of setting it up although I found that with the rifle on the Porta Aim stand and the butt on a bean bag, it made life easier to then operate the 'stills' picture as the rifle remains very still and if that makes no sense to anyone who doesn't own a Pard, it is part of the method of adjusting the reticle from the aim point to the actual shot marker / hole or in other words setting zero. I have to say that I wish I had not bought a new scope to go on my new Tikka rimmy as I would without doubt have bought a Pard 008 instead............?

It is likely that I will sell my Airmax and get a Pard as 90% of my shooting is in the dark but for those summer evenings, it works just as well in daylight. One last point, comparing the screen refresh speed of the Pard to the ATN X site, no contest as the Pard is smooth to use so the sight picture is not jerky unlike the ATN .

If you are thinking about one..................................get it bought from Ian at Blackwood Outdoors, good price, good kit and a good bloke.

Phil

• Like 2

On 13/11/2019 at 19:36, philpot said:

Are you going to use the 007 as a spotter Si.

na... I turned to the dark side?

thermal for spotting 008 for shooting:good:although I used the 007 as a spotter for the last couple of months and shot with the lamp!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

From what I have gleened, they don't all need to be shimmed, it is down to the individual rifle. My shooting partner has bought one and that needs no shimming at all on his Browning T-Bolt rimfire but the material used by most people is drink cans aluminium. The other alternative is to buy an adjustable weaver mount that the Pard fits onto which can be adjusted in order to offer enough movement to get over your issues. The unit sells at around £90 from Custom Rifle Scopes Ltd and perhaps others..................bits from a drinks can is a touch cheaper ?

Phil 

12 hours ago, 452varmint said:

just got an 008 and played around with it a little as a spotter but havent had a chance to get it on a rifle yet, im reading about people having to shim them  ???, do they all need shimmed  and what are people using as shim material ?

Mine needed shimming, I set it so the cross hair was centre before I zeroed it!

it was about a foot low at 50yrd so I cut a tiny square of plastic and put it at the rear of the mount, couple of klicks and it’s spot on.. never had to re zero it since it holds perfectly ?

• Like 1