Silencer for HMR

I don't understand peoples thought patern on this.   The bullet is supersonic. Anyone that thinks that putting a silencer on the front of a 17 will silence the gun is living in la la land . If you put a 22 carat gold silencer on it it will still be the same. No mod will silence a supersonic bullet  Ok the can will muffle and diffuse the muzzle sound a bit but so would a baked bean tin fixed on the front. Unless I shoot near buildings I don't bother using a silencer.  I wear ear plugs for my own protection and it isn't as if I'm shooting whole mags off. I do need ear protection from muzzle  blast as did my vehicle bonnet that got heavily bent by the muzzle blast from my 270 under full power and the chronograph which was blown over on its tripod by the blast from about 5 paces away. That's when you need a silencer. 

• Like 1

I recently took the mod off my wmr.

Sure it's a little louder for the operator but it makes no difference in the field.

The crack from those tiny 17 bullets is a quieter crack than from a larger bullet so stifling the muzzle blast from combustion does offer a value in noise reduction but as meece says its still there.

I took mine off because I care more for my muzzle crown than any bunny hugger getting upset by evil shooting.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1