Love is in the air

A trip up to the sheep farm tonight and it didn’t look to promising, clear skies and no wind, within 10 minutes of being there it clouded over and started to rain a little, setting the caller out 60 yards away on a fence post we set it away with the vixen in heat on full volume, after 10 minutes or so the eyes  were seen coming up the field directly in front of us, it was within 60 yards when my mate put the lamp on it at which point it decided to go left across the field to the far hedge back, stopping only for a second to look towards the caller as it started again, a squeeze of the trigger and down he went, so we went from approximately 60 yards to 158 yards, when we got to him the first thing I noticed was the condition, he’s definitely one of this years and a stunning looking animal, lovely colouring a fair size to, by now the rain had started to get heavier so we headed back towards the farm for a bit of cover under the trees, sticking with the fox calls we had another come from behind us and sat on the bank side of a field approximately 250 yards away, giving it 5 minutes it was clear this one was interested in the caller but wasn’t coming any closer so a shot was to be taken, unfortunately as soon as the lamp was on it it turned tail and ran through the hedge and out of sight so with that and the rain getting heavier we headed home

EC28DE40-B3FA-4019-9A21-27033D88B89F.jpeg

B1ECBBBD-C1CF-4583-B962-8411D7E49F0F.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Fair shot in the dark and a nice specimen.

I went ratting and to listen for fox's but heard nothing.

Keep at 'm mate.

Although this chap came running in and we called the other down the field near the farm, nothing called back which was a bit strange, we normally hear them before we see them, the fox rut can’t be in full swing up here yet ?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Your making this all look to easy stav 

you of the sticks mate , I don’t see a pod , great shooting ?

atb 

Yes mate, off the trigger sticks, just as well because this one buggered off across the field but with the sticks going 360 I could just follow it without moving the sticks, the lad I take with me sometimes won’t use them, he is obsessed with these wooden quad stick, by the time he has finished rattling them about anything that was there had made a run for it

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to the sheep farm tonight and straight out with the vixen in heat call, 10 minutes in and we have a customer, now I’m 99% sure we have met this chap before, it came from the same direction as the one we didn’t get a shot at last time and I’m convinced this is the one my mate took a shot at previously and missed, it was really interested in the call but would only work it’s way along the wrong side of the hedge or sit in the back field approximately 160 yards away just on the top of the hill, not presenting a shot as I would be shooting towards next doors farm, after 30 minutes it decided it had had enough and trotted off over the crest of the hill, giving it another half hour and with nothing else showing we called it a night, I don’t think this one will be coming in to the caller any time soon and with lambing fast approaching this one might be a bait up job

• Like 2