Back out foxing!

After my pigeon shooting session last week i gave my mate a bag of them to use as fox bait. He told me that after the first night of baiting the pigeon was going every night.The weather being as it was put a dampener on proceedings though, literally. It has been wet every night for weeks but Tuesday night was dry at last. I rang him to see if he fancied having a look about to see what we could find and yes he would be ready for eight forty five.

The land we were headed for is big open ground with no livestock barring some chickens belonging to one of the land owners, it is all arable land. These chickens are locked in every night via automatic bob holes but occasionally one or so get locked out and invariably end up as a meal for a marauding fox. The bait had been placed near to the chicken building so it was obviously getting checked by a fox every night looking for an opportunity to snatch a chicken or two. On arrival we had a quick drive around the ground to see if we spotted a fox about. Nothing doing so we decided to park up near the chicken building and wait to see if a fox turned up or not. An hour had passed and then i spotted movement on the track we where parked on about three hundred and fifty yards away through the thermal. I told my mate i had seen something and to ready his rifle. It was only a few seconds later that i could definately verify that i was looking at a fox. It came along the track which was very wet and with deep tractor ruts in it for another one hundred yards and then turned to our left into the margins of a deep ditch. Five or so minutes elapsed and i saw a fox further down the track around five hundred yards away. I mentioned it to my mate who was still looking through his pard008 at the spot the fox dissapeared at. I said i would get the caller out and try to bring it in with that. 

Edited by ianm
  • Like 1

That reminds  me of the old warrener videos where Charlie had slaughtered a young lads banties.  The warrener said that people always said, "how did charlie know that we hadn't  locked  up the coop" ?  The warrener replied " Charlie checks out the hen house, EVERY NIGHT" !!!

I've baited up and sat out on a tower many times waiting. I cut sticks as range  markers because it loòks different at night.  I find watching the antics of charlie both fascinating and amusing.  One time I was watching one and suddenly it raced off the field like it had been shot at.  It went straight through the hedge like an arrow.  Twenty minutes later it came back through the hedge in the same  manner and carŕied on as it had earlier.  Strange behaviour. Good hunting

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1