Compound bows

This Christmas im getting compound bows for the kids and one for myself.  We have a menage where we keep the horses so will use that as our archery range .

I have a budget of 300 for a adult bow.  Does anybody have any recommendations on makes or models 

12 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

This Christmas im getting compound bows for the kids and one for myself.  We have a menage where we keep the horses so will use that as our archery range .

I have a budget of 300 for a adult bow.  Does anybody have any recommendations on makes or models 

Don’t know if this is any good to you mate https://nationalarchery.co.uk/en/venues/archery/caldicot-monmouthshire/oTown-7382https://walesarchery.com/

Edited by Greyman
13 hours ago, steve66 said:

Mackem seemed to be abit clued up when it came to archery but haven't seen him on for abit 

He should be chasing lions in Canada right about now with hounds and his bow! :thumbs:

13 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Born hunter is the man to ask?

Cheers but I'm not sure that I am. :laugh:

I bought a second hand Hoyt Ultratec and kitted it out with accessories and arrows for about £400. I'm very happy with what I got for my money! But I'm not sure I can offer any expertise beyond that.

You need to figure out what poundage bow you want and what draw length you are. Some bows have a lot of adjustment to enable them to fit everyone but I think the higher quality ones only have a little room for adjustment and I suspect this is because building a bow with a lot of adjustment comes at the cost of performance. But  that really is just a guess.

Either speak to someone with much more knowledge than me or go into a decent shop. :thumbs:

I come very close to getting kitted out with a compound myself, but opted for a fairly decent recurve bow in the end & got set up with a bow hunter/retailer who ran his business from home. I just didn’t think I could be arsed with the technical ‘fcukery abouty’ if I was only shooting targets out the back of mine.

If I ever get a hunting license then of course I’d opt for a compound.

Hope you get what you want mate

Edited by Accip74

I used to have a Martin's bow had it for a good few years till my Mrs found the kids playing with it ,  went apeshit and made me find it another home lol. Was a good bit of kit. If you ain't used one much I would advise getting a protecter for your forearm lol

I no I’m only firing a basic budget bow in the picture but it was my first ever go on one and I took nearly every record they had up on the wall which I put down to using a catty for 50 years found the two very similar so anyone wishing to get reasonable on the bow I would say get yourself a catty and practice in your garden ?? 

Have thought about getting one myself but rather have something you can make do and mend if it goes wrong and your in a

situation were there is no shop or tinternet so think it’s beter to get good with a recurve than just be average with a compound