Old dogs - Loxicom or similar?

I've got a couple of old dogs here that are a bit stiff. I have been using Loxicom 1.5mg on them that seems to work a treat.

I can only get it via the vets, does anyone have a more cost effective way of buying it? Or are there any alternatives I should be looking at?

I do also use a boneman when needed.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:28, TOM TERRIER said:

I've got a couple of old dogs here that are a bit stiff. I have been using Loxicom 1.5mg on them that seems to work a treat.

I can only get it via the vets, does anyone have a more cost effective way of buying it? Or are there any alternatives I should be looking at?

I do also use a boneman when needed.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers,

Tom

Metacam is the same you can get both on line ask your vet for a repeat prescription I hope the prescription is not a "rip off price" my vets has gone from £4.50 to £10 but still worth it they charge £52 for 100ML metacam  £18 on line heres some links https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/loxicom-1-5mg-ml-oral-suspension-for-dogs   https://www.viovet.co.uk/Metacam-Oral-Suspension/c5/?sct_t=1573827810&sct_q=metacam+for+dogs&sct_r=2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Human drugs are generally not safe for dogs.

Be aware Aspirin thins the blood.

Here are two extracts from the net.

Although most vets no longer recommend aspirin for pain — why use a less potent, more stomach-harming drug when safer, more effective ones are available? —some of us still rely on it when a canine client is far away and nothing else is available.

As a rule, I never recommend using aspirin more than two days in a row and never in combination with other NSAIDs, such as Rimadyl, Metacam and Derramax. Drug interactions with aspirin are not uncommon, so don’t automatically assume it’s safe to give it to your pet.

Some veterinarians and animal experts have posted dosage guidelines, typically 5-10mg per pound of your dog's weight, given every 12 hours. Dogs have trouble digesting coated aspirin, so give your dog aspirin with food if you want to help protect against stomach and intestinal irritation.

Aspirin is defo not for long term pain relief. 

Does crack me up though, you can go to Tesco's and buy drugs for your baby but you can't buy a painkiller for your poor old dog. Unless you give the vet a fee £25-40 and pay rediculus prices for something that you can get on the internet for around 1/5 of the price ? Makes me wanna punch a vet/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2019 at 20:23, Wideboy said:

When a person has an IM it is advised to give 300mg and that a whopper dose

Do you mean MI, myocardial infarction, which means a heart attack...... 300mg is the one off dose.

Standard, what used to be termed junior, aspirin tablets are 75mg.