shipping container kennel

there were some for sale over here a few years ago,4 kennels inside it ,the container opened from the centre front though ,looked a right good job ...6 ft kennels and a 2 ft walkway if i remember correctly,always wondered about the smell building up though and piss rusting the floors ,

• Like 1

By all accounts the major problem is condensation. Unless you can vent the thing properly it's a big problem. Just to qualify, I know a lot of builders who have lost loads of equipment to rust, as already mentioned. JMO. Jok.

• Thanks 1

See what you mean pal. Yes if open fronted to runs then pretty good style kennels. I will say that 2 of my good friends run kennels, (boarding) and to be honest the biggest thing is ventilation, not only from dog smells , but also from cleaning agents. Jok.

If I go down the container route it'd be done properly and have at least a couple of windows cut in for airflow, the thing i'm concerned about is what to do with the floor, it has to be easily cleaned and non absorbent, stable matting  maybe , or leave it steel as it's only going to be a 4' x 4' or 6' x 4' sleeping area with a raised bed or kennel and a bigger concrete run externally, thanks for the replies fellas

• Like 1
1 hour ago, foxhound said:

If I go down the container route it'd be done properly and have at least a couple of windows cut in for airflow, the thing i'm concerned about is what to do with the floor, it has to be easily cleaned and non absorbent, stable matting  maybe , or leave it steel as it's only going to be a 4' x 4' or 6' x 4' sleeping area with a raised bed or kennel and a bigger concrete run externally, thanks for the replies fellas

If it's going to stay in place i wonder if you could put polystyrene down for insulation and concrete over it inside :hmm:

• Like 1

I've got a couple of containers that I use for all sorts and one does have a pop hole going into a run and a lurcher size sleeping box inside. I made a tin roof for mine with 100mm insulation boards sat on top of the containers. The roof keeps the heat out in the summer and stops the condensation in the winter. The dog hides out in the sleeping box out of choice in the summer because it is cooler in there although she never looks that pleased about going in there during the winter. You might struggle to find a container with a steel floor, generally newer ones have plyboard and older ones have floorboards. I would say that building a roof over the container and run area is essential. If you own the land the kennel is on, my advice would be to spend a bit more on a purpose built masonry / timber / galv panel type structure. Containers can work as an ok compromise but a steel box isn't the ideal thing for people or animals to live in because it doesn't regulate temperature or breathe or ventilate very well.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

My mate runs kennels for a rescue and he has two containers.

however, he has insulated and boarded them out inside, underfloor heating that is tiled over, lighting, ventilation, the works, all done by himself and reckons it was cheaper by far than his purpose build timber kennels, I don’t think he has any problems with his set up as he is talking of doing more of them.

• Like 2