Static, or caravan to live on your own land ?

Different local planning authorities take different lines on it, so local research is important. Making friends with farmers might be helpful as planning regs around converting redundant farm buildings to residential were considerably loosened a while back and they seem to be able to get away with far more than most. Normal houses are better structures to live in and easier to maintain a decent standard of living in than caravans.

Around ten years ago I saw no end of people living in caravans and yurts  hidden in bits of forestry on the outskirts of the Lake District National Park, lots living full time in caravan parks as well, don't know if that's still the case. Living in not especially great conditions especially when the winter rolls around and worrying about planning authorities isn't all it's cracked up to be.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, mark williams said:

Hi all,

What is the law regards buying land and living in a caravan on it ?

Any of you guys had experience of this please ?

You will be evicted within months, the way around it is to buy a plot of land with a derelict stone building on it any building old cow shed etc then apply for planning permission to restore it after that you can live on your land in temporary accommodation while you renovate the building even if you only lay one brick a year, you will be abiding by the law, as said above check with your local planning officer as different districts have different rules but have seen this used in several areas so should be ok ? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

You will be evicted within months, the way around it is to buy a plot of land with a derelict stone building on it any building old cow shed etc then apply for planning permission to restore it after that you can live on your land in temporary accommodation while you renovate the building even if you only lay one brick a year, you will be abiding by the law, as said above check with your local planning officer as different districts have different rules but have seen this used in several areas so should be ok ? 

Thank you for such a good answer Greyman :good:

We have seen this happen in a good few places and never new this applied.

:signthankspin:    Mark.

7 hours ago, Greyman said:

I know someone within a very few miles of a famous cornish tourist green house attraction who bought a bit of land and just moved on in his double decker bus ,council got a eviction order and even a enforcement order and they still didn't move and now have permission for around 8 plots.Not saying everyone or any one can do this but it can and does happen....

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Greyman said:

you need to check what rules and regs cover the area your thinking of first, Brecon beacons NP want £50k surcharge for granting planning for a barn conversion, not sure if Snowdonia NP (my area ) do the same

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got a caravan on my smallholding but would need planning to live full time in it

i had a visit from council within a couple months of putting it there, I just said it’s whats called a chattle look in your rule book if I’ve got animals or am tree planting or working my land in some way I need somewhere out the rain to have tea or use a loo etc

its in the agricultural rules I think, my misses found it 

the guy just agreed and I’ve heard no more it’s been there about 10years now

• Like 1
On 09/11/2019 at 14:31, Greyman said:

He will only be able to stay there if he gets a temporary licence for mobile home/residency, usually 3 years at a time. Just because you are working somewhere doesn't give you the right to live there, you may get away with it a few days a week and you will need to show you are paying council tax or that you are living somewhere else.

You may be lucky and stay under the radar.  But there are eyes everywhere.

And you don't need planning permission to restore a building, only if you change to use of it.