Keeping me company

I do a bit of rat and mole trapping and go mooching out and about in fields and woodlands. I’m thinking about getting a dog to keep me company. What dogs do you guys have? I’m thinking a terrier type (would be good on the rats). I currently have a collie x lab.14 years old, good old boy too, just getting to old to mooch and prefers to sleep in front of the fire now. Show us pics of your dogs pls

5294B322-48B9-4BD5-9EE2-640FD3DFA47A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a springer who used to accompany me when mole-trapping around the farm where we used to live. Without any training she quickly picked up the habit of running ahead to check the trap sites and would indicate traps with moles in them. She also used to find traps that foxes or badgers had dug out and abandoned nearby.

355494609_RubyClive.jpg.d8c480b575e20c125429d107c0d5dfea.jpg

Now we have a small Fox Terrier x JRT that we got from the local refuge. She comes with me on Mole patrol and has also started to check the traps and indicate any with moles in them. Last week while i was tidying up a Putange site where a trap had been dug up and taken I noticed her standing , looking back at me from about 20 yards up the path. She had found the missing trap all by herself. A lot of the customers have taken to her and look forward to seeing her. Good for business. :thumbs:

1677968993_LilyinVanAsleep.jpg.8d88eca9141c27b612d0917b5c685d08.jpg

As you can can see; mole trapping is tiring work!

• Like 12

On about collies for hunting; at one time I had three, two were ISDS registered so they had come from working trials stock and the other was unregistered. They all worked a beating line under control (which was a rarity on our shoot ? )  and would also work individually. One was like a springer, covering miles of ground flushing and retrieving, one worked like a pointer freezing whenever she located a bird that was reluctant to flush hiding in a bush or down a rabbit hole, and the other was like a bulldozer. No cover was too thick for him. Whenever Gem froze on point one of the others would rush in and flush the bird.They were lovely dogs in every way. Kyle, the male would come rabbiting with the ferrets and bring me the rabbits to hand unharmed. Gem, the dominant female flattened a great dane, a doberman and turned a staffie over onto its back, and Tess, the unregistered bitch was a fearless guard dog.

The best thing was going to a new shoot to beat. I used to get some funny looks when I turned up with three sheepdogs, but we always got asked back.

A dog is always a a dog and will be what you make of it. The breed bit is just a label.

• Like 6

Sensible words Nicepix,...I rate the versatility of the Collie extremely highly,...a good example of the type will have a crack at most jobs.:clapper:

I enjoy taking my Whippet/Cur on the various commercial shoots, ..for me, it makes the entire experience much more interesting..

Obviously, with the a smidgen of Sooty Sam in her lineage,...shit can frequently hit the fan,....then it can get, a tad emotional..:good:

http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Nicepix said:

I had a springer who used to accompany me when mole-trapping around the farm where we used to live. Without any training she quickly picked up the habit of running ahead to check the trap sites and would indicate traps with moles in them. She also used to find traps that foxes or badgers had dug out and abandoned nearby.

355494609_RubyClive.jpg.d8c480b575e20c125429d107c0d5dfea.jpg

Now we have a small Fox Terrier x JRT that we got from the local refuge. She comes with me on Mole patrol and has also started to check the traps and indicate any with moles in them. Last week while i was tidying up a Putange site where a trap had been dug up and taken I noticed her standing , looking back at me from about 20 yards up the path. She had found the missing trap all by herself. A lot of the customers have taken to her and look forward to seeing her. Good for business. :thumbs:

1677968993_LilyinVanAsleep.jpg.8d88eca9141c27b612d0917b5c685d08.jpg

As you can can see; mole trapping is tiring work!

I’ve had to do my last few jobs without my dog as he’s getting too old and prefers the warmth of the house. It just didn’t feel right without him there. I’m looking forward to getting a new addition but not sure if I will get one when he’s still around. Sounds daft but I don’t want to disturb him too much as he can be a bit of a dick with new dogs.

• 2 weeks later...