Restaurants?

1 minute ago, WILF said:

One of the strange anomalies in a country like this devoted to agriculture is that almost nobody eats their own product !......to me, it’s crazy.

They would rather sell the cow and buy beef at the supermarket !!

I just think that’s mental ! 

What have you got at the moment wilf.?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think thats brilliant having the knowledge and confidence to do that....some of you hardcore hunters will probably laugh but ive only recently learned how to prepare a rabbit for the table and it ga

Does anyone here still eat tongue ?......not that processed shit from the supermarket but a proper tongue? I keep mine off my cattle and braise them long and slow with onion, they are absolutely

Have you had scallops and black pudding mate ?......they go really well together 

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

What have you got at the moment wilf.?

Just pigs and chickens at the minute mate, I’ll buy some more cattle about March and raise them on for a few months 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Wat breed or x u getting ? ?

I just tend to buy the dairy bull calf’s mate, €50 each and then stick them on grass for 8 months.

Thats cheap eating that is

edited to add: I had Angus the first year, much more expensive to buy and no noticeable difference in the veal.

They probably yielded a bit more meat but they cost a bit more to keep as well so it’s swings and round a bouts 

Edited by WILF
30 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Wat breed or x u getting ? ?

In the pigs I bred a litter of Tamworth x Gloucester old spot, they came out blinding so I kept a brother and a sister and I’ll breed them to each other to try and nail the type because they are exactly how I wanted.

They are b*****ds mind you because I think they are such sociable animals they always get out the field and come down to the house with the dogs ! Lol 

They just seem to like being around you mate, strangest thing.

• Like 1

As for dining, my fave is always round at my brothers house. Sometimes we all cook and sometimes it's his Mrs but they have a huge 12 seater dining table and when your all sat round it eating good food, it's a lovely expierience...

As for eating out, here in the North West, near Southport, is a family run restaurant that offers excellent local British fayre.

Master McGraths, named after the famous greyhound. It's owner was a serious coursing man before the ban and themed the decor with that in mind... Even without the coursing/hunting theme it'd still be my fave restauraunt, the food is very good.

If your anywhere near at any time, go check it out and keep an eye out to the right of the front door, a plaque, dedicated to the memory of The Captain, Willy Tough... ?

11 hours ago, WILF said:

I love eating out, but I have to say my experiences have been mixed.

I will say, it’s very hard to eat a bad meal in Paris.....I think I have had one bad meal there ever.

We had a great Italian near where we used to live and that was very good, I like Italians anyway because I have kids and they are normally bang on with kids.....they don’t treat them like unwanted customers.

My pal owned a good place in Bromley, but when he took his eye off the ball and moved towards other projects it went down hill.

Quaglinos in London was alright, don’t know if it’s even still there but it was good.

The most disappointing was Sicily when I was there, I was in Palermo and every meal bar one was totally ordinary.

Had a good meal in Brussels too in a place down some old street full of restaurants, all the produce on display outside in chillers.....that was good.

Also had a really nice Italian in Windermere strangely enough and the maitre de was a top bloke.

Nearly forgot, there is a decent little Spanish place in Greenwhich that me and my boy go to when we are over....that’s pretty nice.

Greenwhich market on a weekend is great if you like food.

Edited to add: Eating out is one of the few occasions I may have a drink and I enjoy one then.

And Harrods is f***ing jank for a bit of grub !.......just in case you wanted to know ! Lol 

that spanish place is allways busy wilf.i nearly went in once,but the kids was dragging me the sushi guy in the market.☺

• Like 1
19 hours ago, mushroom said:

I've got that Tunisia/north African place Azou, on my list. Couple of Italians in and around the city, so I'm ok for foreign muck lol Basically I'll try anything,  so any suggestions will work. Fish and seafood is always a priority of mine ? I'm gonna hit the Peking duck place too. I think it was green who posted it, on one of his food trips.

If your feeling flush i think Berkeley Square takes some beating for restaurants....Benares,Sexy Fish for the foreign muck or Hakkasans which i think was the first Chinese restaurant in London to be awarded a Michelin star....even the pizza place Bocconcinos round the corner is nice....if your partial to a drop of wine poke your head into a shop called Hedonism on Davies St ?....or for a steak stick with me over Canary Wharf you,ve got Goodmans and The Boisedale both great eateries.......i dont get over West London much but ive been on the London Shell Co boat a few times over near Paddington station their fish takes some beating and its a pleasant little cruise along Regents Canal....theres so many nice places to eat in London and of course if the worst comes to the worst you can always get yourself down Manzes for some pie & mash ?

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, WILF said:

I just tend to buy the dairy bull calf’s mate, €50 each and then stick them on grass for 8 months.

Thats cheap eating that is

edited to add: I had Angus the first year, much more expensive to buy and no noticeable difference in the veal.

They probably yielded a bit more meat but they cost a bit more to keep as well so it’s swings and round a bouts 

If its a daft question just ignore it as im naive as f**k with all this but just something ive become interested in of late......do you butcher the animals yourself Wilf and is it purely for your own consumption ?

41 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

If your feeling flush i think Berkeley Square takes some beating for restaurants....Benares,Sexy Fish for the foreign muck or Hakkasans which i think was the first Chinese restaurant in London to be awarded a Michelin star....even the pizza place Bocconcinos round the corner is nice....if your partial to a drop of wine poke your head into a shop called Hedonism on Davies St ?....or for a steak stick with me over Canary Wharf you,ve got Goodmans and The Boisedale both great eateries.......i dont get over West London much but ive been on the London Shell Co boat a few times over near Paddington station their fish takes some beating and its a pleasant little cruise along Regents Canal....theres so many nice places to eat in London and of course if the worst comes to the worst you can always get yourself down Manzes for some pie & mash ?

Without the liquor ?

Cheers for that gnash, I'll defo look into all those. Probably over the year I'll get to most.... it's on expenses ?‍♂️?

2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

If its a daft question just ignore it as im naive as f**k with all this but just something ive become interested in of late......do you butcher the animals yourself Wilf and is it purely for your own consumption ?

Not daft at all mate, I’m just messing along and f***ing about myself! Lol 

No mate, I don’t kill anything myself.

You have to have it done by a proper place mate and to be honest I’m not so sure I could be f****d about with dealing with all the innards of a fully grown cow or pig even if I was allowed.

But, yes all for our own freezer, I do not sell any of it, give a bit away and that’s it.

Edited by WILF
11 minutes ago, WILF said:

Not daft at all mate, I’m just messing along and f***ing about myself! Lol 

No mate, I don’t kill anything myself.

You have to have it done by a proper place mate and to be honest I’m not so sure I could be f****d about with dealing with all the innards of a fully grown cow or pig even if I was allowed.

But, yes all for our own freezer, I do not sell any of it, give a bit away and that’s it.

For the sake of £120 its easier and less messy just taking it to an slaughterhouse and you'll get a better yield.unless its missing ear tags.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ginger beard said:

For the sake of £120 its easier and less messy just taking it to an slaughterhouse and you'll get a better yield.unless its missing ear tags.

It’s cheaper still here mate, €50 for a pig and then I just get it roughly cut to what I want by the lads with the band saw.

Always tag and slap mark mate, you have to be chapter and verse with live stock over here.

The local butcher is cheaper for my cattle, I think the last two he charged me €200 for the pair and that butchered into cuts, steaks, burgers, sausage and mince etc but he has a license to slaughter on his premises.

Edited by WILF