Hard water...

3 minutes ago, king said:

Surely the water ain't like that in the reservoir is it..

They must be messing about with it somewhere.

Possibly mate - I guess it depends on the rock lining the reservoir and, whatever shitty old Victorian pipes are getting the water to your gaff.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s because of the massive surface area not the soft water ? ...... 

Easier to stick a pick up, just a community tank these days mate, have had Malawi cichlids and a big pair of oscars in the past 

The waters that hard round here that it threatens to kick my head in when I turn the tap on....

Posted Images

Just now, Jonjon79 said:

Possibly mate - I guess it depends on the rock lining the reservoir and, whatever shitty old Victorian pipes are getting the water to your gaff.

Ah spot on I didn't think of that jonjon.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, patterdale said:

Don't tell me sugar cubes as well !!

I for 1 would be deeply concerned if dytkos wasn't offered a pair of garibaldis which would be sharing space with a solid silver english 1890's tea spoon.

Offered on a wedgewood bone china saucer which adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to afternoon tea drinking occasions.

If none of the above the said uncle is a lightweight.fact..

• Haha 1

He was working in Saudi, me and my mate used to go down and stay there a few weekends a season to "air" the house. He did have sugar cubes and drove an Austin Allegro Vanden Plas (Google it lol) dogs had to sleep in the van and he was the first person we knew who had a bidet ( you might need to Google that as well) ?

Had 2000 acres of coursing on the strength of him introducing me and my ex to farmers in the local.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, king said:

When the wife had done the washing up in s.wales the pint glasses and anything else glass.would be shining.sparkly.on the draining rack.

Up here the glass doesent have that shiny sparkle.

So the difference of water can be seen by the eye aswell.

Did you try changing the wife.

51 minutes ago, king said:

She's 1 in a million jiggy ?

She must  be reading your posts ??? FairPlay. My mother has one of these things under the sink that takes a pouch of balls in the glass globe. It is connected to mains but not until after the drinking tap Ts off because it's not good to drink it.

IMG_1028.JPG

• Like 1

I have an Ro system on the kitchen sink but its only for my fish tank....it does soften the water but im not sure the output would be enough for day to day household use,plus you have to regularly change the membrane to keep it in optimum condition,plus its a bit bulky and takes up a fair bit of space ......yeah forget that bad idea ?

Most water actually comes from underground (only about 10% of water comes from reservoirs in the southeast for example) and its filtered through the ground, if it’s come through chalk then it picks up a lot of calcium which is a cause of hard water. So basically different types of water across the country depending on where it came from, it’s all safe to drink but does taste very different depending on where you live!

2 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Most water actually comes from underground (only about 10% of water comes from reservoirs in the southeast for example) and its filtered through the ground, if it’s come through chalk then it picks up a lot of calcium which is a cause of hard water. So basically different types of water across the country depending on where it came from, it’s all safe to drink but does taste very different depending on where you live!

i thought nearly all our water came from the reservoirs bob.you learn something new everyday..

11 hours ago, king said:

i thought nearly all our water came from the reservoirs bob.you learn something new everyday..

Chew valley around here mate which comes from the mendip hills and is filtered through limestone as it comes down  which causes limescale in our water, regarding this salt filtration I,m really struggling to get my head round it, my neighbour is a 65 yr old retired plumber has the electrical gadget and swears by it, I,ve worked with him over a 30 year period off and on and have never seen anyone ask for a saltwater filter, but loads with the little electric thing and I have worked in an average of three different houses a week all around the southwest of England and have never once encountered saltwater coming through taps, the only places I have ever seen it is in commercial premises like hospitals etc were they have separate systems for drinking water, I could go down most streets near me and find one or two of those devices in houses but not a saltwater system, seems absolutely ridiculous to fit a water softener that then makes your water undrinkable wtf, sorry bob need more info to swallow that one ??

14 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Think youve got that wrong mate in London and the south east only around 30% is underground water....theres actually a website you can put your postcode in and find the exact breakdown of water parameters for your area ph/gh etc..... anyone who keeps certain types of fish have to know the water in their area.

• Like 2