Hard water...

The water here is terrible every single day got to clean the kettle with vinegar to remove the limescale.

And waiting for water to go through a Brita filter is mind numbing.

To put the problem into perspective.

When i was 19 I went away to work. my gran said take the kettle as she was buying a new 1.

It was the type with the exposed element inside the bottom of the kettle.

It was 8yrs old and the element was spotless.

1 week boiling water in bath. (the city)

The element looked like it was full of frost the water was that hard.

Is there any filter out there to reduce as much limescale as possible..

It's bloody annoying.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s because of the massive surface area not the soft water ? ...... 

Easier to stick a pick up, just a community tank these days mate, have had Malawi cichlids and a big pair of oscars in the past 

The waters that hard round here that it threatens to kick my head in when I turn the tap on....

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ted Newgent said:

Fit a water softener system in as soon as the water pipe comes into the house

not sure of the cost implications back there

I will have a Look online now Ted. 

I didn't know you could get such a thing.

Barcelona is a nightmare for it. Not one female or male who lives here hasn't commented about it. Leaves your skin and hair feeling horrid, dry and dead. It's so bad that it leaves the limescale in your hair! One wash in the mountain rivers and it's as fresh and clean as can be.

Water softeners are not cheap. I priced one up and it was ridiculous... I'll keep using H&S ?

Edited by mushroom

I am sure you can get some sort of in line filter that fits under the sink or somewhere between the mains coming in and the sink unit. I think you can get ones with replacement filters for around the £100 mark from places like screw fix or general plumb centres 

17 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

They are weird things.the reviews are talking about using large bags of salt.

It's all new to me.the reviews are saying a big difference in water quality as quick as a few days.

In will read up more on them ted. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Barcelona is a nightmare for it. Not one female or male who lives here hasn't commented about it. Leaves your skin and hair feeling horrid, dry and dead. It's so bad that it leaves the limescale in your hair! One wash in the mountain rivers and it's as fresh and clean as can be.

Water softeners are not cheap. I priced one up and it was ridiculous... I'll keep using H&S ?

I thought this water was hard lol.

8 minutes ago, dytkos said:

When we were coursing we used to stay at the Ex wife's uncles near Lincoln quite a bit, was the same there, tea used to taste fecking disgusting.

Cheers, D.

100% agree horrible taste..

3 minutes ago, king said:

I thought this water was hard lol.

I kid you not, it is disgusting. Most of my mates who grew up here have had stones or family members have. If you don't clean the house regular and deep, it ends up in those missed places looking like fuucking stalactites. 

Edited by mushroom
9 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

I am sure you can get some sort of in line filter that fits under the sink or somewhere between the mains coming in and the sink unit. I think you can get ones with replacement filters for around the £100 mark from places like screw fix or general plumb centres 

The fridge freezer has an inline filter on it.we have been using water from that for the kettle.but the water is still very poor.

I will have a read up of them trigger..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mushroom said:

I kid you not, it is disgusting. Most of my mates who grew up here have had stones or family members have. If you don't clean the house regular and deep, it ends up in those missed places looking like fuucking stalactites. 

Feck that's crazy water.

I don't blame you sorting a water system out mushroom.

Must be fecking the body up drinking all that shit. 

The water in s.wales is spot on