Looking to do some chub fishing now as im missing my fishing already. Never had a chub or tageted them. Im in south wales, and theres a few brooks that run off the usk and a few others in my local area. Online it says theres chub in them, and one of them a reliable source told me hes had chub on an usk tributary that runs a good 7miles. Ive only ever had, or seen trout in these personally. A bad sign or? I could do the wye but i love brooks and being mobile and fishing non mainstream places. As i say ive had plenty of trout out of these secret little waterways so surely has to be more in them? I have been told a stickfloat and maggot trotting down accounted for chub to about 1lb from the guy i know. Not huge but i love fishing for what it is.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, so just fish the same pools i normally get the trout in isit? The guy who told me theyre in this same brook is fishing mad so i know he wouldnt of said so if they wernt, just fancy something a bit different and it is nice getting in these quiet areas. Is meat generally a decent bait for them?

I will give that a shot this weekend then. I was using cheese paste weekend just gone but the river has been right up and like hot chocolate the colour of it. Im not a big river fisherman so not sure how these effects the conditions etc but there are some nice places to fish around here and ive been told chub are a good target as they will bite even in the winter which is why im after them really.

Cheers mate i will let you know how i get on. I know the main river that it runs into has chub in so there's no reason the brook into it wont , i've caught trout right the way up the brook miles from where it enters the river. Always on spinners, as i say never had a chub there but the guy who told me is reliable and as they're in the main river i'm sure some would of gone up the brook when in flood.

The main thing to remember is that chub don't act like trout. They don't lie facing upstream waiting for food to come downstream to them. Chub are always on the move. like a flock of sheep. And if you spook one you spook the lot. Even the ones you didn't see.

• Like 2

One of best fish to go for like been said make slight bit of noise and there off not to bee seen again  I think personally I think bit lobworm with tip nipped off works well plus everything else has a go so u shouldn’t blank not as good a fight as a barbel but still a cracking fish to target 

58C79EEF-B43B-4312-8AB8-3B200AB67919.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
Just now, W. Katchum said:

If they fought as good as they look they would awsome fish, I always feel a bit disappointed when I realise it’s a chub ? but they still nice fish to catch?

Fair play to that one, was hell of a scrap, honestly thought it was a barbel don?

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...