Best dog for ferreting

When I was about 14 I kept on and on that I wan't a dog, all my mates had Jack Russell's and Fox Terrier's. Then one day my father came back from the pub with a cross poodle with I think Skye Terrier which he had taken off a bloke that was hitting and kicking it,  you wouldn't wan't to argue with my old man. To say I was gutted would be a massive under statement, I didn't wan't to know it. Father kept on to me about taking it out with the ferrets, for ages I wouldn't. Then one day I did start taking it out and hoped to god I would not be seen by my mates. Well this scruffy little cross took to it like a duck to water, would mark in, flush out and as I was solo ferreting he would sit watching one side of a hedge and I would stand on top. If a rabbit bolted he would pin it to the ground giving me time to get there. In the end I didn't have to worry about my mates they would come and borrow him if I could not go. I found this old picture of Skippy the poodle cross and my mates Jack Russell and scanned it from mid sixty's.

1211883557_Page35.jpeg.eab37d6bb896e7b06277b5118c97e59b.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 11

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was about 14 I kept on and on that I wan't a dog, all my mates had Jack Russell's and Fox Terrier's. Then one day my father came back from the pub with a cross poodle with I think Skye Terrier

Could I tempt you with the last remaining dog pup of the litter,lol....he's looking for someone to take him on ,be some all round companion I reckon....but then again ,I'm biased lol

Can’t beat a Bedlington nose went to a set that looked like nowt had been in for a while but dog marked well and caught 2 himself and 4 in the long net only 12 month old take a long time to mature fro

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Arry said:

When I was about 14 I kept on and on that I wan't a dog, all my mates had Jack Russell's and Fox Terrier's. Then one day my father came back from the pub with a cross poodle with I think Skye Terrier which he had taken off a bloke that was hitting and kicking it,  you wouldn't wan't to argue with my old man. To say I was gutted would be a massive under statement, I didn't wan't to know it. Father kept on to me about taking it out with the ferrets, for ages I wouldn't. Then one day I did start taking it out and hoped to god I would not be seen by my mates. Well this scruffy little cross took to it like a duck to water, would mark in, flush out and as I was solo ferreting he would sit watching one side of a hedge and I would stand on top. If a rabbit bolted he would pin it to the ground giving me time to get there. In the end I didn't have to worry about my mates they would come and borrow him if I could not go. I found this old picture of Skippy the poodle cross and my mates Jack Russell and scanned it from mid sixty's.

1211883557_Page35.jpeg.eab37d6bb896e7b06277b5118c97e59b.jpeg

Cheers Arry

i have seen quite a few excell at marking/ferreting/bushing from unknown breeding. Yours sounded like a belter Arry. This old mongrel was a fantastic marker and could work cover all day long.

17022174_415448938808269_5863928748100982149_n.jpg

• Like 4
On 05/11/2019 at 23:20, jigsaw said:

Could I tempt you with the last remaining dog pup of the litter,lol....he's looking for someone to take him on ,be some all round companion I reckon....but then again ,I'm biased lol

Screenshot_20191105-210006.jpg

Can’t believe he hasn’t been snapped up yet , that pup looks a picture of health and can see the effort that’s been put in to its up keep this far 

19 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Can’t believe he hasn’t been snapped up yet , that pup looks a picture of health and can see the effort that’s been put in to its up keep this far 

I got a message today ...."would ye take a hundre for im"....NO SALE lol...he's too good to go to some Langer that won't appreciate his qualities..the right man will come along ,

• Like 3
Just now, jigsaw said:

I got a message today ...."would ye take a hundre for im"....NO SALE lol...he's too good to go to some Langer that won't appreciate his qualities..the right man will come along ,

Aye that’s it mate hopefully someone who will appreciate him will come for him mate ,

• Like 1
On 11/11/2019 at 21:31, Elchapo said:

On 11/11/2019 at 21:31, Elchapo said:

Which is he the one on left or right

On 11/11/2019 at 22:29, jigsaw said:

If their too mean to pay for him their too mean to feed and care for him,I'm not asking crazy money for him,just a fair price for a lot of care ,good grub and he's fully innoculated,

I have followed these Pups through Moochers  and on here and when I saw Dons Pictures on here  I went Coat Blind and wanted one thinking they had all gone , now that I see there is one left  I was tempted again but its no good as I just  don't have the legs to do one justice , saying that I envy the new owners  and look forward to seeing write ups on these pages of their progress and congratulate Jigsaw on a job well done .

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, micky said:

I have followed these Pups through Moochers  and on here and when I saw Dons Pictures on here  I went Coat Blind and wanted one thinking they had all gone , now that I see there is one left  I was tempted again but its no good as I just  don't have the legs to do one justice , saying that I envy the new owners  and look forward to seeing write ups on these pages of their progress and congratulate Jigsaw on a job well done .

micky,if your under 70 they be great for ye lol,and if your dodgy on the legs i will throw in a zimmer frame with the pup ,lol...thanks for the kind words ,i got a msg last night ,a person wanted the pup for their autistic son??????i told them they wouldnt be suitable for that ,and i got an hour and a half of questions and comments ,afterwards ,but he seemed like a nice bloke lol...

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

micky,if your under 70 they be great for ye lol,and if your dodgy on the legs i will throw in a zimmer frame with the pup ,lol...thanks for the kind words ,i got a msg last night ,a person wanted the pup for their autistic son??????i told them they wouldnt be suitable for that ,and i got an hour and a half of questions and comments ,afterwards ,but he seemed like a nice bloke lol...

I am the wrong side of seventy  unfortunately But thanks for the offer Mate and good luck homing the Pup which I am sure you will  

37 years ago

IMG_20190707_0011.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

We can Get out over next few days if you wanna come see the beast ?wee plummer heavily in season just now so she got a sick note? got another new guy started our place so been on stand by for any fcuk ups haha so been staying close to yard, seems to be getting it now tho so I’ll start getting pup out longer now rather than quick hour here an there ?

I am off to Leicestershire in the morning for a few days Don , I am going to make a fortune picking Blewitts back next Monday  would love to go next week .

Copy of Picture 029.jpg

micks pics 057.jpg

micks pics 110.jpg

• Like 1