Best dog for ferreting

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was about 14 I kept on and on that I wan't a dog, all my mates had Jack Russell's and Fox Terrier's. Then one day my father came back from the pub with a cross poodle with I think Skye Terrier

Could I tempt you with the last remaining dog pup of the litter,lol....he's looking for someone to take him on ,be some all round companion I reckon....but then again ,I'm biased lol

Can’t beat a Bedlington nose went to a set that looked like nowt had been in for a while but dog marked well and caught 2 himself and 4 in the long net only 12 month old take a long time to mature fro

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Any sort of quick reacting dog will be a good ferreting companion.In my experience lines or families of dogs that have been used with ferrets for generations seem to have a inbuilt bond with them and work together without much training.

Vicki has a litter atm Same parents as Fleet

72944513_10156686629348589_2195866351510224896_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Vicki has a litter atm Same parents as Fleet

Thanks mate,I've been thinking of one more and I don't think you'd get better dogs here.Do you know if any are spoken for and if there are dogs and bitches.The old blue bitch I have,apart from being the best hunting dog I've owned, has literally saved my life twice,very loyal and brave animals.Are the dogs as easy to live with as the bitches.

On 05/11/2019 at 23:20, jigsaw said:

Could I tempt you with the last remaining dog pup of the litter,lol....he's looking for someone to take him on ,be some all round companion I reckon....but then again ,I'm biased lol

Screenshot_20191105-210006.jpg

The one on the right got some front knuckles and feet!

• Thanks 1

For me fella have a think about what you want overall and put %s to your work and quarry, consider you might get 6-8yrs work out the dog. Then think what you want. Pretty much any dog with a good nose will be good for ferreting, a little terrior be bang on, but only if your good at netting and your ground allows good netting. If you can't or don't want to put nets down then you need a runner. If it's small.tight spaces then that's a different runner to open spaces. If sometimes you may mix and match quarry then a Jack Russel be no use!

I see you haven't long since joined, have a good read of existing stuff, get your head around what you need. Ask questions on here and send messages to people who have a dog type you may be interested in. Most on here are decent and will talk and offer advice if approached. 

Consider everything, who will look after it when you can't, if you work away can missus handle it etc, plan in advance, don't rush and don't take first runner from next village, dont be afraid to wait and/or travel for the right dog. One or two journeys for 10yrs service, Nowt is it?

I did all the above took a long time to choose and over the moon with my little pup. 

Don't rush

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Thanks mate,I've been thinking of one more and I don't think you'd get better dogs here.Do you know if any are spoken for and if there are dogs and bitches.The old blue bitch I have,apart from being the best hunting dog I've owned, has literally saved my life twice,very loyal and brave animals.Are the dogs as easy to live with as the bitches.

Not sure how many left few are spoken for this is her FB msg her - https://www.(!64.56:886/vbcountrygirl 

Every dog is different but that breed is usually pretty easy going

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

For me fella have a think about what you want overall and put %s to your work and quarry, consider you might get 6-8yrs work out the dog. Then think what you want. Pretty much any dog with a good nose will be good for ferreting, a little terrior be bang on, but only if your good at netting and your ground allows good netting. If you can't or don't want to put nets down then you need a runner. If it's small.tight spaces then that's a different runner to open spaces. If sometimes you may mix and match quarry then a Jack Russel be no use!

I see you haven't long since joined, have a good read of existing stuff, get your head around what you need. Ask questions on here and send messages to people who have a dog type you may be interested in. Most on here are decent and will talk and offer advice if approached. 

Consider everything, who will look after it when you can't, if you work away can missus handle it etc, plan in advance, don't rush and don't take first runner from next village, dont be afraid to wait and/or travel for the right dog. One or two journeys for 10yrs service, Nowt is it?

I did all the above took a long time to choose and over the moon with my little pup. 

Don't rush

very sensible post.

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

Can’t beat a Bedlington nose went to a set that looked like nowt had been in for a while but dog marked well and caught 2 himself and 4 in the long net only 12 month old take a long time to mature from what I’ve heard and seen with this one 

4A3A9A02-24AA-4FF0-AB72-3558265E94BA.jpeg

a bedlingtons nose is one of the best there is ? not forgetting there is hound in there make up ?

• Like 3