Best dog for ferreting

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was about 14 I kept on and on that I wan't a dog, all my mates had Jack Russell's and Fox Terrier's. Then one day my father came back from the pub with a cross poodle with I think Skye Terrier

Could I tempt you with the last remaining dog pup of the litter,lol....he's looking for someone to take him on ,be some all round companion I reckon....but then again ,I'm biased lol

Can’t beat a Bedlington nose went to a set that looked like nowt had been in for a while but dog marked well and caught 2 himself and 4 in the long net only 12 month old take a long time to mature fro

Posted Images

depends what ground you ferret. Jack russells are good some like whippets. I prefer beddy whippet and wouldn’t want anything else. ground I frequent is hedgerows, railway embankments etc. the one I work now at 18 1/2 inch she tackles brambles, nettles, is a excellent marker and is quick enough for short 20 or so yard bolters. but I certainly wouldn't call her a running dog. 

depends what type of ground you are working and your own temperament, no good with a collie x if you gollar and carry on,  as for size i personally like something about 20", saying that i have a beddy whippet 18" and a collie greyhound/ malinos greyhound 27", i only work them solo and tend to take them on ground that suits them best. The beddy whippet has the better nose and will hunt cover the big dog is very biddable and a doddle to handle. If i was to have another runner i would have a 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie or 1/4 beddy. Personally when i need another ferreting dog i probably wont have a runner, i fancy trying a pure Kelpie, had a farm bred collie for years a few years back, great little ferreting dog and we got on great.

• Like 1

for the ferreting job a collie or kelpie would suit me, had the collie and was great. some of my perms are not keen on lurchers and loads of eyes on folk nowadays. i like a biddable dog, the big lurcher i have is fantastic to handle, i really like that, but at 27" he looks a bit intimidating. Before i make any decisions which will be a few years down the line i will go and watch kelpies work, i know a farmer who has a few. really like the collie but i fancy the kelpie, you need to follow your head and heart sometimes i think.

• Like 2

? Hunted rabbits with most of the herding dog/running dog composites...enjoyed handling all of them.

Walked out, with Beardies, Borders, Keplies and Cattle Dogs, but there is so much diversity in every individual animal, that it is impossible to state, that one type always turns out, in a particular way...

Just like hunting men,.... hunting dogs are all, uniquely different...?

http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

? Hunted rabbits with most of the herding dog/running dog composites...enjoyed handling all of them.

Walked out, with Beardies, Borders, Keplies and Cattle Dogs, but there is so much diversity in every individual animal, that it is impossible to state, that one type always turns out, in a particular way...

Just like hunting men,.... hunting dogs are all, uniquely different...?

http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

When’s the new book out Phil?? I see your website at the bottom of your posts says coming soon.....