Sign in to follow this  
Michael elliott

Best dog for ferreting

40 minutes ago, Michael elliott said:

Thanks mate don't much about l urchers a bloke told me Bedlington x whippit

An the next guy will say collie x grey an the next guy a whippet, find a type you like an aslong as it’s not a big deerhound it will do the job. But smaller dogs have benefits over bigger dogs, but all will have drawbacks aswell, no such thing as best

• Like 2

depends what ground you ferret. Jack russells are good some like whippets. I prefer beddy whippet and wouldn’t want anything else. ground I frequent is hedgerows, railway embankments etc. the one I work now at 18 1/2 inch she tackles brambles, nettles, is a excellent marker and is quick enough for short 20 or so yard bolters. but I certainly wouldn't call her a running dog. 

I'd go for a.whippet x, beddy whippet is going to be the easiest to find as it's a popular x, nice dogs to have around.

depends what type of ground you are working and your own temperament, no good with a collie x if you gollar and carry on,  as for size i personally like something about 20", saying that i have a beddy whippet 18" and a collie greyhound/ malinos greyhound 27", i only work them solo and tend to take them on ground that suits them best. The beddy whippet has the better nose and will hunt cover the big dog is very biddable and a doddle to handle. If i was to have another runner i would have a 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie or 1/4 beddy. Personally when i need another ferreting dog i probably wont have a runner, i fancy trying a pure Kelpie, had a farm bred collie for years a few years back, great little ferreting dog and we got on great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

kelpie whippet is appealing. Only thing that concerns me about a kelpie is it giving mouth or maybe i am barking up the wrong tree lol.

Wait couple seasons an I’ll tell ye😁 of I’m honest I wouldn’t mind trying a decent grafting whippet type mutt over this halfx pup if all was to go to plan, would be few years away yet am would only be if I ever did make the final decision that would be my next type, fancied another halfx but I got serious feeling after this in it will go one way or other an I end up with like I say a whippet type x a halfx or other way an a full collie or kelpie or summati😁

• Like 1