I help to run a walk and stand syndicate we have twelve guns that's two teams of six So when four lads could not make it on Sat I tried to fill the vacancies but no one took up the offer.

Saturdays  shoot  with only 4 guns in the line and 4 beaters  seamed as if it wasn't going to be a very good day and it was bloody raining on the first drive .My team was to beat  on the first drive thru a wood of falling trees and heavy bracken cover we pushed thru with two lads with dogs in the wood and one flanking either side with one walking gun. We flushed at least a half dozen pheasants and about ten woodcock. Next drive was what we call our high drive this is a wood on a hill that we drive the birds uphill and when the flush they fly back across the guns who are in a valley  we see plenty of birds pheasants and red legs and the rain stops? . After elevenses my team beat again but first the guns blank in a wood to walk birds over to the wood we are to beat  as we don't have enough bodies to act as stops we loss some of the birds but not to worry as most of them go into the next drive. Anyway we have seven drives my young dog gets to flush a few birds and retrieves a pheasant a partridge and her first woodcock. At the end of the day we have a dozen pheasants seven partridge three wood cock and two woodies. Plus we  were dry .Ended up a good day after all?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, hily said:

Thanks for taken time to view and reply Phil I must try and take some pics won't be as good as yours that's a nice looking cocker

Bell up in the borders.

Have read your posts before Hilly and thought that’s where you were, the ground you have looks spot on......my type of shooting.  Nice to see woodcock are about, should be some more come in midweek when the wind turn to the east.....I’m up the west coast in 2 weeks chasing them....good luck for the rest of the season.