Thanks THL

Don't post a lot on here anymore and sometimes think it's gone down hill however if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have had the morning I've had.

I have a new team this year, 3new ferrets and a pup who is now 6months old. All off which came through people I have met on or through THL.

I was hoping to go out with a mate of mine this morning but missed the boat. Decided I still wanted to get out so me and my little girl took the team out local. Wasn't expecting anything as we have had recent floods round here but wanted to get the ferrets and dog in the field for some practice together. Ferrets had never been entered and dog never worked, obviously with the age.

Chucked the gear on our backs and set off walking. Next door neighbours lad asked if he could come so he joined us too. Walked to the end of the lane where there is a few small sets but they are in/around Hawthorne bushes but can het all the way round them, not across a fence line etc so thought it would be easier to work alone (which basically I was).

Well the spot is about half a mile from our door and when we got to the first of 3 spots it had obviously been recently dug and back filled so I left it. Walked on to the second spot about another 150yards and it was the same and the third spot 50yards the same. Decided to about turn and was going to try another spot in some woods. As we passed the first spot again the pup was head and shoulders into the bottom of the bush so I decided to try a ferret. If nothing else it would give the ferret a run through some borrows for the first time on a spot I could see all exits. Didn't put any nets down as all the holes were well under the Hawthorne and brambles plus I didn't expect anything with signs it had been recently worked. 

Kid on either corner and I was sat at the bottom with the pup on her lead when to my surprise a rabbit bolted! I made a mess of getting the slip off the pup so the rabbit was about 25yards away but straight lining towards the second spot. Pip shot off and made the ground sharpish, she took the rabbit on the run just before it got to the second spot. I whistled her and she came straight back almost to hand. 

Got the stinker out and came home. I hadnt planned and didn't want to give the pup a run that far so didn't want to keep pushing her, she's too young for that yet. I was over the moon with my team, it was amazing to see her tear off after the rabbit, then to make the ground up, catch it and keep hold when it was squealing and kicking, then to bring it back! Wow, what a feeling. 

All possible because of people I have met through here. Thanks THL!

IMG-20191103-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20191103-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191103-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20191103-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20191103-WA0006.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

First of many?that bitch wont look back now she's had some fur in her mouth.... Atb the the rest of the season ?

Thanks DC. Get some fur in her mouth was the idea when I set out but I was planning on a rabbit in a net not a full run! I was over moon when she caught it and retrieved. Cant explain it, still buzzing now!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, big napper said:

Great stuff ryan, sound like the pup will be a belter mate and ferret is working good aswell

Cheers John. She blown me away today. That albino took some handling but he is sound now. Turned into a big lad. He had a go today, had a little dig to get him out. His claws were full of fur so he was doing his job and sticking with a rabbit. I got my arm down but couldn't feel the rabbit so left it for another day. Only on a quick outing for fun not pest control so I don't mind leaving some. 

Get ready for me being shot down for saying that now! 

• Like 1