Coursing dogs for all round lurcher work

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a decent dog man should not make nothing crack imo no its limits, everything has them.

i don't normally do this but just for the crack 2 runs 2 rabbits and home.

don't doubt you have seen a decent dog or two, I have and do own dogs that can only be described as top draw, don't meen you have to push them to breaking point though, just idiotic imho

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Allan P said:

If all types of quarry for Lurchers were still legal, I would go for a coursing type or something with some coursing blood in the mix only because in my opinion the odds of getting a decent one that could catch a bit of everything edible whether daytime or lamping are slightly more stacked in my favour. 

mines half irish coursing greyhound does that count ?

One of a number I used like a lurcher from the 80’s as a young un but by the 90’s when I could pay the good money they never got run on the lamp too much risk of making them pull up on the hedges in the day but what they could do with gear in the day it would of been boring to watch them on the lamp on hares and roe I did here about some that was ok for a Fox now and then but I never owned one and I didn’t ferret back then but I can’t see them being the best dog for that game

01C6D612-9521-4558-846A-A7201B5A6682.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Trev70 said:

One of a number I used like a lurcher from the 80’s as a young un but by the 90’s when I could pay the good money they never got run on the lamp too much risk of making them pull up on the hedges in the day but what they could do with gear in the day it would of been boring to watch them on the lamp on hares and roe I did here about some that was ok for a Fox now and then but I never owned one and I didn’t ferret back then but I can’t see them being the best dog for that game

01C6D612-9521-4558-846A-A7201B5A6682.jpeg

trev a mate of mine in the eightys had a proper good lamping dog, he said he recond gyp could catch a hare in the day, as soon as it got to the hedge old gyp slamed the brakes on and came straight back lol, but I started mine day time for a season and never had one problem, and I did 2/3 nights a week lamping as well as coursing.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, two crows said:

trev a mate of mine in the eightys had a proper good lamping dog, he said he recond gyp could catch a hare in the day, as soon as it got to the hedge old gyp slamed the brakes on and came straight back lol, but I started mine day time for a season and never had one problem, and I did 2/3 nights a week lamping as well as coursing.

A mate of a mate from Manchester came for a run with us one morning with two bitches that had been killing numbers on the lamp, he was wanting to cash in on the pair, both looked good on their hare on the first field but both pulled up as soon as their hare hit a hedge. 

Edited by Trev70
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, C.green said:

Sometimes ill tell my dog to hunt in the dark. Seen few dogs pull up at hedges but if hearts there they should follow.

mine have caught loads in cover at night every one of em, and I recon you get some dogs in the day looking for an excuse to pull up.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, two crows said:

mine have caught loads in cover at night every one of em, and I recon you get some dogs in the day looking for an excuse to pull up.

That's for sure about dogs looking for an excuse,  they would miss loads if not following into cover night or day.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Always thought, lamping making dogs pull up in the day was just a wives tale sort of thing. Think dogs knew what was what personally

It ain’t no wives tale in my experience mate. Heavily lamped dogs will have a tendency to start doing it but there are exceptions to every rule, Same as it ain’t just collie Xs that will pick there runs and stalk I’ve seen other breeds do it as well again heavily lamped dogs

• Like 1