Coursing dogs for all round lurcher work

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a decent dog man should not make nothing crack imo no its limits, everything has them.

i don't normally do this but just for the crack 2 runs 2 rabbits and home.

don't doubt you have seen a decent dog or two, I have and do own dogs that can only be described as top draw, don't meen you have to push them to breaking point though, just idiotic imho

Posted Images

8 hours ago, two crows said:

don't doubt you have seen a decent dog or two, I have and do own dogs that can only be described as top draw, don't meen you have to push them to breaking point though, just idiotic imho

I dont mean pushing them to jack i mean alot of them seem happy now and again but when work loads increases will wait for mistakes and overun stuff. When youve seen it youll see it more if that makes sense. 

• Like 3

as I iv worked both sides of the fence I wunna want coursing stuff in mine ,I  like mine to be traditional lurchers that's not to say I dunna like coursers used to have a lad come from Leicester on our patch to exercise our hares and was as good as iv seen ?but it would never be able to work a net ? horses for courses simples?

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

as I iv worked both sides of the fence I wunna want coursing stuff in mine ,I  like mine to be traditional lurchers that's not to say I dunna like coursers used to have a lad come from Leicester on our patch to exercise our hares and was as good as iv seen ?but it would never be able to work a net ? horses for courses simples?

Horses for courses, spot on. ?

Cheers, D.

7 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

7 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

I think your dead right with what you keep mate if that's what suits, but all kinds of dogs will do all kinds of things when brought up to it,.

I recon a coursing dog could if bought up as a Lurcher to do Lurchers jobs could hold its own tbh but it’s dependent on if the owner is a one man one dog type of guy/gal an how much of a rush they are in to have a finished article there genetically designed to catch shit so your over half way there it’s just the manners that need installing but that’s down to the trainer on how much time they put in to the dog 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, joe ox said:

I have seen some half decent dogs with saluki/coursing blood in them but I would never even entertain the idea of having saluki/coursing blood in my dogs. Its just not for me.

Would you not try pup out of your stuff to a coursing bred bitch a personally think brings a lot to the table not looking for argument or debate just wondering why not for you.

44 minutes ago, joe ox said:

I have seen some half decent dogs with saluki/coursing blood in them but I would never even entertain the idea of having saluki/coursing blood in my dogs. Its just not for me.

I’m in the same thinking jo wouldn’t have it in my own dogs as it’s not needed if the dogs have already got what you require ?? But don’t see nothing wrong with it at the same time 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Would you not try pup out of your stuff to a coursing bred bitch a personally think brings a lot to the table not looking for argument or debate just wondering why not for you.

I'm not crabbing or slating or trying to cause an argument.

I've tried and seen lots of different mix's over the past 3 decades some good, some bad. When I breed a litter I know what I'm getting because I only use my own dogs which I have bred, if I used saluki/coursing blood it would be a lottery on what came out, why fix what is not broke? I am happy with my dogs and how they perform.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, joe ox said:

I'm not crabbing or slating or trying to cause an argument.

I've tried and seen lots of different mix's over the past 3 decades some good, some bad, when I breed a litter I know what I'm getting because I only use my own dogs these which I have bred, if I used saluki/coursing blood it would be a lottery on what came out, why fix what is not broke? I am happy with my dogs and how they perform.

Get what your saying your line breeds true to type and know what your getting in each litter.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, poxon said:

I recon a coursing dog could if bought up as a Lurcher to do Lurchers jobs could hold its own tbh but it’s dependent on if the owner is a one man one dog type of guy/gal an how much of a rush they are in to have a finished article there genetically designed to catch shit so your over half way there it’s just the manners that need installing but that’s down to the trainer on how much time they put in to the dog 

maybe your right mate ,think its just what suits each person ? iv seen all different crosses do a decent job ,even a greyhound retrieve to hand many years back ? but for what I do a big suluki cross might struggle pushing through tight cover to retrieve  a bird ?and my beddy crosses would maybe struggle behind a hare ? each to there own I suppose ? but I would love to see the waterloo cup run again it was a great end of season day out ? we can dream eh ?

• Like 2

If all types of quarry for Lurchers were still legal, I would go for a coursing type or something with some coursing blood in the mix only because in my opinion the odds of getting a decent one that could catch a bit of everything edible whether daytime or lamping are slightly more stacked in my favour. 

• Like 1