Night time ferreting

My kids have been asking to go night time ferreting as they really enjoy it lol. Just taped fishing star lights to the collars and off we go. Picked a nice easy set out in  the open with plenty of bunnies in. The bunnies seem to bolt really quickly at night. Maybe it's because they are top of the set. I'm going to run longnet round the set and they have just 10 nets each.and going to film them on my thermal. 

IMG-20191027-WA0003.jpg

• Like 13

ZacB - the kids really enjoy ferreting at night time it's funny when the ferret pops it's head up with the star lights on as they really stand out. Made me laugh about the socks they are actually thermal ones that's my daughter whose socks you can see ?

It didn't quite go as planned as had to take little lad home after an hour and a half as just got all the long net up (left the purse nets off), bunnies were bolting out all over the shop and then he took a right tumble down a rabbit hole so decided to take him home as he was whinging a bit and he had left a few bits behind as it was all a bit chaotic lol. My daughter and I went back and got his stuff and banged the net back up and got a few more, we got 20 odd out of it in the end. Was one of those nights though! Got some good footage on my thermal which I will get my Mrs to get off my thermal and post it up. 

One funny thing that happened was sent my daughter down to grab a bunny out the net but it kind of hit the pole and spun around it she then despatched it obviously in the dark but she couldn't work out what had happened to it, I could see it all crystal clear through my thermal though it was like watching someone on the Krypton Factor trying to work it out, think it maybe on the footage I have filmed. It's harder to do in the dark as there are holes everywhere and they just pop out everywhere. 

Here are a couple of pics of what we ended up getting, was a bloody cold night though!!

IMG-20191028-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191028-WA0002.jpg

• Like 12

tried it  once on a hot spot that you would never dare go near during the day ? we had a heavy fall of snow so thort it be easy as it be light enough to see proper it was all on the flat and easy to net up ? think we had about 10 but its harder work than you think ? not again done it since ? but it was a adventure ?lol

16 hours ago, wilbs said:

ZacB - the kids really enjoy ferreting at night time it's funny when the ferret pops it's head up with the star lights on as they really stand out. Made me laugh about the socks they are actually thermal ones that's my daughter whose socks you can see ?

It didn't quite go as planned as had to take little lad home after an hour and a half as just got all the long net up (left the purse nets off), bunnies were bolting out all over the shop and then he took a right tumble down a rabbit hole so decided to take him home as he was whinging a bit and he had left a few bits behind as it was all a bit chaotic lol. My daughter and I went back and got his stuff and banged the net back up and got a few more, we got 20 odd out of it in the end. Was one of those nights though! Got some good footage on my thermal which I will get my Mrs to get off my thermal and post it up. 

One funny thing that happened was sent my daughter down to grab a bunny out the net but it kind of hit the pole and spun around it she then despatched it obviously in the dark but she couldn't work out what had happened to it, I could see it all crystal clear through my thermal though it was like watching someone on the Krypton Factor trying to work it out, think it maybe on the footage I have filmed. It's harder to do in the dark as there are holes everywhere and they just pop out everywhere. 

Here are a couple of pics of what we ended up getting, was a bloody cold night though!!

IMG-20191028-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191028-WA0002.jpg

a good catch well done

1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

tried it  once on a hot spot that you would never dare go near during the day ? we had a heavy fall of snow so thort it be easy as it be light enough to see proper it was all on the flat and easy to net up ? think we had about 10 but its harder work than you think ? not again done it since ? but it was a adventure ?lol

We normally go when there is a full moon as the kids enjoy it and it's surprising how bright it is. Night was a lot longer than normal due to little lad, having to walk back to car and drive him all way back home after just getting set up and all the way back again after realising he had left some stuff there. We drove back at about 1.30am in the morning and thought whilst we were there me and my daughter might as well bang net back on and carry on and get some more.

I'm going to leave it for a week or two until moon is back up and give it another go.

had some good nights night ferreting.....doing some big parks...that you couldn't do anyother time as it was hot....also used to do a place by a power station....you didn't need a full moon for that as there was enough light pollution from the place.....

one park I used to do in particular....had a few other species on it....and my lurcher bitch would often leave the warren at full tilt and pull something else ...wich was a nice bonus to the nights work...

• Like 2

Got some footage of the other night when i let my kids do some night time ferrering and i just recorded them on my themal. Its nice for anyone who hasnt seen through a thermal before.

My Mrs has downloaded the footage to my phone but can't seem to be able to post it on here. If anyone can upload it for me if I send it through to them or tell me how to do it, that would be great ?

There is a funny bit on there where my daughter runs straight past the rabbit in the long net as it was pitch black lol.

Thanks 

• Like 1