Nothing today

Went out first light today to see bout bagging a bunny for mondays dinner... saw one rabbits that went through to the neighbouring farm (no permission over there) and down a warren in the hedge.

My perm is a 'i want rabbits gone' perm. Ive had my fair few off there with guns and ferrets, so not suprised there aint much about...

Its just the lack of signs around holes, no scraps, droppings, fur or foot prints.

Need some frosts down here to clear the hedgelines so i can get in there next.

Took me young lad for his 2nd trip out... he had fun but would have been better to show him some more rabbits.

20191027_101019.jpg.151ba4774a96ee3e657ed3eb863807c0.jpg

FF

• Like 7

Good to get out but never as fun when you blank. I am finding rabbits hard to come by after feeling quite excited back in the summer at the numbers, I think RVHD2 has been through unfortunately, still a few about but nothing like what I was seeing in the summer and whilst some mixi nothing to explain the drop off in numbers. Was on a normally decent perm today and found someone has been poaching it which doesn’t help! 

Do you think you’ve hit your perm very hard FF or bit of RVHD2 going through?

Good man at least you out there, and taking a future hunter out. Had a blanker two weeks ago, hedge look fresh as hell but 300 yards of hedge empty. We did the other side of the field two days later and had half a dozen, wether a stoat or a weasel had been down through it I don't know.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Im only out in the morning on a sunday from first light till 1130/12...

Biggest bag was 12 shot in summer and there were good numbers about.

Not seen a mixi rabbit this year, so it might be that rvhd2 has been through.

Just makes you look like a pillock to the land owner when they say theres loads about. And youve got nothing in the bag.

No poachers about either its quite open and not seen any signs of peg marks or dog prints.

Holes producing good numbers last year are over grown with nettles and cover with spider webs plus thinking bout it quite a fair few flies hanging around holes.

Ive hit it quite hard because its a i want no rabbits left perm.

FF

it's impossible to say no poachers about as you don't know what goes off after dark. I know you want to keep your permission but you can't expect to shoot them in the summer and then wonder why numbers are low when season starts. 

• Like 1

It’s very awkward for you FF because the owners don’t want to see any rabbits so you have to do what’s required to keep the permission...I am not to far from you as the crow flies and I KNOW RVHD2 has been through as I have been told by several different reliable sources they have seen dead rabbits and rabbits having fits etc that are classic symptoms so my guess is it’s likely to be around your area to unfortunately. 

To true fred90... i understand that completely.

There are pheasant shoots to the back and sides of the perm and the game keeper is always out and about...

Spoken to him a few times and never seen or heard a poachers being about.

Although i havent seen as many hares about this year either.

Not seen any dead rabbits either or land owner saying so, but there are a few pairs a kites and buzzards around to pick them up i suppose.

Badgers are more prolific this year seems to be twice as many as previous years.

FF

10 hours ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

To true fred90... i understand that completely.

There are pheasant shoots to the back and sides of the perm and the game keeper is always out and about...

Spoken to him a few times and never seen or heard a poachers being about.

Although i havent seen as many hares about this year either.

Not seen any dead rabbits either or land owner saying so, but there are a few pairs a kites and buzzards around to pick them up i suppose.

Badgers are more prolific this year seems to be twice as many as previous years.

FF

I think badgers kill more young rabbits than people realise. there are far to many badgers now the amount you see run over and the latrines full of shit on daily mooching shows this. also when landowners say there's loads about 10 rabbits sat out in the fields is 100 in their head. 

• Like 1