Weasels: Fiesty & Fearless

For the 1st time in a long time I have seen a wildlife programme on the tele, BBC believe it or not, that I enjoyed watching. As the topic title.

Probably due to the subject matter, it would be hard to make weasels boring no matter how hard they may try.

One thing they missed though , several actually but one glaring error unique to these beautiful little predators, the death dance.

Stoats more than weasels do it. Anyone else seen it?

• Like 10

Good programme, i have been lucky enough to have seen the death dance, not so much of a dance, more like manic behaviour, rolling jumping and charging around but the end result is what counts. When you look at the size of them they must rate as one of the worlds fiercest predators, fascinating creatures. Years ago i was in a disused quarry , when i heard this scream from a rabbit and saw it sat in front of me about ten feet away, a weasel shot out of some grass and jumped on the back of its neck, i ran forward and grabbed the rabbit, the weasel ran about 8 feet away and stood looking at me. The rabbits heart was pumping that hard then suddenly stopped, when i skinned that rabbit the weasels teeth had hardly broken its skin, i swear that rabbit died of pure terror.

• Like 5

Some of my best encounters in the countryside have been with stoats or weasels. They are my favourites animals.

I caught a weasel recently in a live rat trap, but unfortunately it perished over night, to say I was gutted was a bloody understatement, it was only the third weasel I’ve seen in Belgium! 

It was an incredible set up that the man had created to film weasels.  Not completely natural of course and he was providing food rather than filming them hunting, which would take a different set of skills. Very impressive though and they managed not to anthropomorphise them too much, something that ruins most wildlife programmes these days. Difficult animals to anthropomorphise anyway, unless you liken them to SAS Troopers!

The best times when I have been lucky enough to observe them has been when stalking rabbits with a rifle or sitting outside a warren. The most unusual though was a stoat that the terriers kicked up and treed after a short hunt. She (I assume a female due to the size) was not content to have made safety but was full of hell and stayed just out of reach of the dogs. I ended up having to couple the terriers and drag them away as I honestly believe she fancied her chances and  I had no desire or reason to kill her. The unusual part of this was her colour, half summer coat and half winter coat. Again maybe not that unusual in itself, only time that I have witnessed this though, but we were less than 10 mile from Newcastle upon Tyne. Way too far south I would have though to trigger the colour change?

No pictures unfortunately. I did not have my camera and it was pre-mobile phone days. Pre-ban also so no law was being broken even though I was not intentionally hunting her. Happy days.

11 minutes ago, kinkell said:

Tried to watch this programme but nothing compares to Colin willock at Anglia television years ago.no names for animals no gimmicks just nature in the raw no set up photography couldn't watch till the end

Have to admit i turned the telly over before it finished as well.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, kinkell said:

Tried to watch this programme but nothing compares to Colin willock at Anglia television years ago.no names for animals no gimmicks just nature in the raw no set up photography couldn't watch till the end

I agree ? As you are probably aware Mr. Willock was  an hunting man. Dudley, The Worst Dog in the World is one of my favourite books, for the simple but very good sketches if nothing else!

1 minute ago, eastcoast said:

I agree ? As you are probably aware Mr. Willock was  an hunting man. Dudley, The Worst Dog in the World is one of my favourite books, for the simple but very good sketches if nothing else!

Yes him Phil drable weasel in my meat safe read them can't beat jack Hargreaves . never watch nature programs now . giving animals and birds names what's all that about?