Anybody ran or bred a 5/8 bull greyhound to a greyhound

On 26/10/2019 at 20:29, shaaark said:

Patience is the best quality anyone could have with lurchers/sighthounds. 

Can practically guarantee that your youngest greyhound bitch would be LETHAL with foxes, if you gave her another year before you tried her.

Not telling you or anyone else how to do things, it's your dog/dogs, but wait til they're about 2 1/2 years old before you start them, you'd be surprised, and very happy ?

Words of wisdom there shaaark?Personally never known a dog be spoilt from being held back..... Seen loads start off flying from a young age, then jib mind?

Pre ban... I Found having them out with the terriers in the day and letting them have a tug, run any bolters with a few other dogs having a rag on the dispatch , would always make a better dog for lamping them when the time came ?

• Like 5

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Patience is the best quality anyone could have with lurchers/sighthounds.  Can practically guarantee that your youngest greyhound bitch would be LETHAL with foxes, if you gave her another year be

Yeah got the sire lined up he is 8 year old game as the come.  Bitch will be an open class greyhound but will be tried 1st before any mating takes place   Wanting a pup or 2 myself out of th

Posted Images

20 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

A cracking ole dog man once told me good pup make good adults, 3 Fcuking years ? dog would have grown up quicker with graft thrown at it, only excise for a dog to take that long to start lies with the owners ?

I stand by my statement with a f1 dh/gh. - the bones of 3 years to truly know what you have.  

Might pick a fox for you at 20 months old .... that does not mean you now know you have a single handed dog that will watch the lamp, clear fences, hit ditches, slow up on turns, and repeatedly pick what gets up in front of it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ijf said:

I stand by my statement with a f1 dh/gh. - the bones of 3 years to truly know what you have.  

Might pick a fox for you at 20 months old .... that does not mean you now know you have a single handed dog that will watch the lamp, clear fences, hit ditches, slow up on turns, and repeatedly pick what gets up in front of it.

That's right mate you never know exactly what u got till 3 or 4 years however promising that's y I gi mine till at least 7 before deciding 

2 hours ago, Black neck said:

That's right mate you never know exactly what u got till 3 or 4 years however promising that's y I gi mine till at least 7 before deciding 

It's like a fine wine like a nice fruity blend with a zest of spandex

• Confused 1

I had something similar , 

saluki bull greyhound x bull grey back to a straight grey and back to a grey again 

60 quid from west Cumbria , farm bred , for it at 18 month old after viewing the litter originally 

dog was a f***ing lunatic , mentioned him before , was a liability with anything he took a fancy too. 

Altjough when he was focused he was an absolute killer , wasn’t the quickest , turning circle of a cruise ship , no real pace but when he arrived it was like Optimus prime landing 

id never seen a dog break things in half before. 

Duke was killed smacking into a 5 bar gate at the very end of a lamp ,only had him a few months and to honest i was glad he was away as he was a c**t to kennel. 

57 minutes ago, C.green said:

I dont see how in 2 an a half years a dog wont bump into a few bits out and about ? Ive struggled to keep 6 months old pups off stuff lol

The dog may bump into em but taking them is a different matter. 

I love the deerhound x's but for me the bull is much more advanced where teeth are. My deerhound takes em but she isn't a fox dog. She picks when she wants em

If you want a pot filling dog then you wont go wrong a with deerhound greyhound. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Depends where you are, plenty of baron or empty wildernesses to go at. Bit different in South East, but where there's Moors and mountains easy enough I guess, but yep bits and pieces is different to full on working I guess

Plenty of land in the south east, foxes are plenty full down that way

A real good bull greyhound, my preference a 1/4 bull 3/4 grey, I feel is hard to beat.

But I like the idea of a Deerhound greyhound for one job and the height would be beneficial, fancy one in the future for sure.

On another vein, a bull greyhound with good bull blood and speed, the prey drive is unreal and not for everyone I'm sure, but for me nothing compares to their do or die spirit. 

• Like 4