Anyone on here ever done a hedgehog project? Thinking of making a few diy nest boxes and siting them in a few different areas as I have alot of wood spare. I know one or two places I've seen them where I've moved them off roads so they don't get ran over. I see loads dead on the road so think it would be good to provide a place for them. Not sure on the Ins and outs if its is better in woodland or fields etc. Any advice would be appreciated, will get a trail cam once I've made a few see if I get any visitors but they'll be sited out of the way where they can't be found.

• Like 5

That's why I'm giving it a go mate. Most of them are dead on the road, I'm forever slamming on and getting out to move them off the road if they're alive. 

Would be good for you to give a go, I'll have a look about for easy setups that isn't too much hastle. Then just site a few about the place. I know where there's one or two I see so at least provide somewhere to bring up young warm and dry. And then I'll just move a trail cam about each one. 

Yer, would do the same myself, given the info.

August and Sept i was finding loads round here but many were (or seemed to be) in poor health. Easily found in the open, thin, watery eyes and slow to move off...?

1 hour ago, darrren said:

That's why I'm giving it a go mate. Most of them are dead on the road, I'm forever slamming on and getting out to move them off the road if they're alive. 

Would be good for you to give a go, I'll have a look about for easy setups that isn't too much hastle. Then just site a few about the place. I know where there's one or two I see so at least provide somewhere to bring up young warm and dry. And then I'll just move a trail cam about each one. 

Same here, I drive at nights, do one every few days, see them regular dead in the same places.

Had to scare off a barn owl the other night, sat on the white lines, didn't shift had blow the horn!

Cheers, D.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear of hedgehogs doing well in some areas, always loved those little buggers.

One of the best things you can do to help them out if you have a fenced yard is to knock a couple of small holes in the bottom of your fence and encourage neighbours to do the same, if they can travel through gardens easier it keeps them off the roads and opens up new territory. My ma got everyone on her close knocking holes out of their fences a couple years back after seeing it on Autumnwatch or something and she's always getting hedgehogs visting now when she never saw them before.

Brock will definetly have one for dinner if he sees them about. What ive llooked into a basic box compartment with a tunnel entrance seems to be the best sort of housing for them with straw in. Its been non stop rain here but soon as i have a dry weekend im going to make my first one and i have an idea where im going to put it.

• Like 1

I have them in my garden, I put left over ferret food I a bowl under the ferret hutch and all through the summer months they come ever night. Also cut little hole in my gate and the sole board of my fence so they can travel. I put some photos up think it was last year when two were squabbling up the top of my garden, what weird din they were making.

Used to see them in the fields years ago when out lamping but not now think the Badgers take them out, too many of them about here.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Over run with badgers here too. If you go on the walkways over the estate you cant let a terrier off the lead because its badger city sets everywhere and always see them at night with a lamp. Thats what these morons will never understand by letting one lot thrive your taking out the others. Try explaining that to a potato muncher though.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...