What’s a good .17HMR

30 minutes ago, some bloke said:

Sako Quad are a darned good HMR - the trigger is very nice and the safety is much quieter to 'take off' than the noisy CZ ones I've heard - that are loud enough for a keen animal to hear in the dead quiet of night.

I have two: one for sale that's hardly been used, less than 300 rounds, varmint barrel. A very welcome aspect of them is the 5 round magazine is flush with the bottom of the action so doesn't get snagged or hinder gate resting etc.

If you use your thumb and finger to take off the the safety on a CZ it makes no noise whatsoever I’ve owned mine over ten years great bit of kit I did fit a trigger kit immediately. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I highly rate my tikka t1x 17hmr,  I even bought the t1x 22lr as I was that impressed 

For the price of rimfires new, let alone second hand re-barrelling seems like a lot of ball ache to end up with something I wasn’t that enthusiastic about in the first place. It’s not a bad shout, but

Why not take the opportunity to go for a hornet instead of hmr

36 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

If you use your thumb and finger to take off the the safety on a CZ it makes no noise whatsoever I’ve owned mine over ten years great bit of kit I did fit a trigger kit immediately. 

That's how I work mine.

I stoned my seers on the trigger.

• Like 2

If youve got a few bob spare  , anschutz  , finish is perfect ,best trigger you can get , best thumbhole stock ive shouldered , lightweight compared to the quad and cz  and laser accurate 

ive had the quad and cz now have a 1416  .22 and 1517 hmr ,love them 

1 hour ago, telfs said:

If youve got a few bob spare  , anschutz  , finish is perfect ,best trigger you can get , best thumbhole stock ive shouldered , lightweight compared to the quad and cz  and laser accurate 

ive had the quad and cz now have a 1416  .22 and 1517 hmr ,love them 

I found the trigger on HW better 

and the safety on 1517 looks like a weld gone wrong  Plus sharp ,but on the 1761 it’s proper safety  and far nicer gun 

11 minutes ago, telfs said:

Never tried the hw , but  heard good things , unfortunately the thumbhole stock has got to win the award for the ugliest stock competition

And clumsiest, every time I use brothers my thumb knuckle knocks that huge bolt doorknob up so it doesn't fire until I correct it again.

2 hours ago, villaman said:

I found the trigger on HW better 

and the safety on 1517 looks like a weld gone wrong  Plus sharp ,but on the 1761 it’s proper safety  and far nicer gun 

The 1417 has the two stage trigger, the 1416 and 1517 don’t. They are adjustable though, so can’t really be judged off the shelf. I have an hw60j and I agree that “off the shelf” the trigger on that gun is truly superb ?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

The 1417 has the two stage trigger, the 1416 and 1517 don’t. They are adjustable though, so can’t really be judged off the shelf. I have an hw60j and I agree that “off the shelf” the trigger on that gun is truly superb ?

The 1416 and also the 1517 come with either single or two stage triggers and boy there good

15 minutes ago, telfs said:

The 1416 and also the 1517 come with either single or two stage triggers and boy there good

True, the two stage trigger is available as an upgrade for these rifles and it’s an excellent trigger. In fact, I don’t think anschutz make a poor trigger. The 1417 is only available with the two stage trigger, or at least it was? A friend of mine upgraded his 1517 to two stage and it cost him about £200 if I remember right?

I had a thumbhole 1517 thinking it’s would be the dogs b’s and tbh I really didn’t like it! I’ve since looked into the tika a bit more and I think I’m sold on one of these. Seems like a hell of a lot of gun for the money. 

I’ll have another stab at getting the fence wire and bamboo skewers out the cz this weekend?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

True, the two stage trigger is available as an upgrade for these rifles and it’s an excellent trigger. In fact, I don’t think anschutz make a poor trigger. The 1417 is only available with the two stage trigger, or at least it was? A friend of mine upgraded his 1517 to two stage and it cost him about £200 if I remember right?

Yeah thats about the price for an upgrade , anschutz have now stopped making the 1516/17 and it would appear they have also stopped the 1416/17 line as well , shame because they are all cracking guns  , but it looks like the 17 series is taking over in both calibres

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, telfs said:

Yeah thats about the price for an upgrade , anschutz have now stopped making the 1516/17 and it would appear they have also stopped the 1416/17 line as well , shame because they are all cracking guns  , but it looks like the 17 series is taking over in both calibres

Never understood the different models, they all look the same to me but that's just my ignorance.

Once handled and shot a hornet once. That was pleasant. A delux model. No idea what the model number was.

22 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

The original question was " what is a good .17HMR?"

One that has had its barrel rebored to .22 ?

Or one that is in a skip having first been sawn into at least six pieces.?

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Never understood the different models, they all look the same to me but that's just my ignorance.

Once handled and shot a hornet once. That was pleasant. A delux model. No idea what the model number was.

Different barrel lengths , stocks etc plus there used to be a 64 action and a 54 action both discontinued now