What’s a good .17HMR

I have a cz American. Never liked the trigger and always meant to whack a trigger kit in it. Anyway, got a pill stuck in it following a round malfunction and in the process of trying to get the fecker out with some farmyard improvisation I jammed the barrel up good and proper (wire, bamboo skewers.... it’s all pretty embarrassing!). 

The whole thing is now f****d and I’m going to 1-for-1 it and have this one destroyed. 

I don’t want another cz as I can’t be arsed fitting  the trigger kit (I’ve know it’s easy as I’ve done it on my .22). I don’t want an anchutz as I’ve had one of those before as well and didn’t like it for all the German quality ifs supposed to have. What’s left that works well?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I highly rate my tikka t1x 17hmr,  I even bought the t1x 22lr as I was that impressed 

For the price of rimfires new, let alone second hand re-barrelling seems like a lot of ball ache to end up with something I wasn’t that enthusiastic about in the first place. It’s not a bad shout, but

Why not take the opportunity to go for a hornet instead of hmr

I'm a bit biased as I like my brownings, never had any trouble with my T-bolt and its accuate two double helix mags hold ten each. There has been a few on here that don't like the trigger, but its never bothered me! It's a cheap rifle, but there are trigger kits available for it, but hey pull it and it goes bang, what more do ya need.

• Like 1

Cheers gents - heard the t-bolt is a handy bit of kit but never had a browning before... also didn’t know tika did rimfires!

this rifle is for longer rabbits & corvids so whilst a hornet would be a touch I’m not want to pay as much to feed it.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Yokel Matt said:

Cheers gents - heard the t-bolt is a handy bit of kit but never had a browning before... also didn’t know tika did rimfires!

this rifle is for longer rabbits & corvids so whilst a hornet would be a touch I’m not want to pay as much to feed it.

Cheap as chips to reload, and better than any off the shelf carp once you find a decent load.

42 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

What about a savage.

Could the cz be rebarreled? ( In a proper call, one that doesn't bugger barrels) ?

Yep you could get it re-barrelled and have the trigger kit fitted at the same time. I would suggest looking at .17WSM as it's cheap to feed if you find a good ammo supplier, but there's simply not enough support for it in the UK.

• Like 1

Sako Quad are a darned good HMR - the trigger is very nice and the safety is much quieter to 'take off' than the noisy CZ ones I've heard - that are loud enough for a keen animal to hear in the dead quiet of night.

I have two: one for sale that's hardly been used, less than 300 rounds, varmint barrel. A very welcome aspect of them is the 5 round magazine is flush with the bottom of the action so doesn't get snagged or hinder gate resting etc.

• Like 2

For the price of rimfires new, let alone second hand re-barrelling seems like a lot of ball ache to end up with something I wasn’t that enthusiastic about in the first place. It’s not a bad shout, but just not for me. Mostly because I can’t remember the last time I used the damn thing tbh as I normally use the .22 cz which is so reliable I could bang posts in with it and still shoot accurately?. I’m only tempted by a hmr as I know some people that, if they could only have one rifle, would have an hmr and whilst opinions obviously differ on this subject they must be good for something. Head shooting hares and rabbits & blowing up corvids every now and again is what I’ll need it for. I home load for my 6.5x55 & 30-06 and whilst the product is good I find the process a shag for 100-120 deer a year it’s just about worth it. I can’t be arsed to do it for my .223 as I burn through rounds so loading hornet would be just another hobby as far as the wife is concerned?

• Like 3