Firth of Forth wildfowling.

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if it's still possible to go foreshore shooting anywhere at the Firth of Forth?   

I'm thinking of the Upper Forth area (Skinflats) or just east of Grangemouth but both seem a protected area now?

Thanks to anyone willing to contribute.

• Like 1

Strange question. As I recall,, if you can have access to the foreshore, double meaning, then you can shoot wildfowl. By Royal decree , access was granted to anyone getting there by lawful means. For example, without trespass, you could walk down a burn or indeed transport yourself in a boat which does not break any laws. ( my opinion). What may be an issue is the collection of shot fowl which possibly ended up on someone's grazing. When we go fowling at Newton Stewart and surrounding areas this seems to be the case with access across narrow wooden passageways over burns but never on some farmers land. The only other thing is of course is that local wildfowling clubs already have made arrangements with either local councils or land owners which means that you ain't getting on there. Use your Google to some advantage and find out the local facts. These wildfowling clubs are generally very good to deal with so wish you well. Jok.

Sorry. Just as an aside. The subject is Wildfowling. This conjures up the idea of wild things which literally means they are under no control , so, can't really be subject to being in a 'protected' area if you see what I mean. Jok.

• Like 1
On 30/10/2019 at 19:25, jok said:

Strange question. As I recall,, if you can have access to the foreshore, double meaning, then you can shoot wildfowl. By Royal decree , access was granted to anyone getting there by lawful means. For example, without trespass, you could walk down a burn or indeed transport yourself in a boat which does not break any laws. ( my opinion). What may be an issue is the collection of shot fowl which possibly ended up on someone's grazing. When we go fowling at Newton Stewart and surrounding areas this seems to be the case with access across narrow wooden passageways over burns but never on some farmers land. The only other thing is of course is that local wildfowling clubs already have made arrangements with either local councils or land owners which means that you ain't getting on there. Use your Google to some advantage and find out the local facts. These wildfowling clubs are generally very good to deal with so wish you well. Jok.

Do you still shoot near Newton Stewart? I thought it was all clubs or wildlife sanctuaries round there 

• Haha 1

Dido 1. No mate stopped shooting a bit ago. As I say in my missive anyone who can get to the foreshore without trespass can wildfowl.  In general the locals were very good, didn't interfere and were there to give advice. Being such a small community everyone knows everyone in else in the shooting world , who's there and what they are doing. Jok.

1 hour ago, jok said:

Dido 1. No mate stopped shooting a bit ago. As I say in my missive anyone who can get to the foreshore without trespass can wildfowl.  In general the locals were very good, didn't interfere and were there to give advice. Being such a small community everyone knows everyone in else in the shooting world , who's there and what they are doing. Jok.

I spent a bit of time mooching round that area when I was growing up. We shot on coastal farms between Newton s and Wigtown. Iv been on Creetown wildfowlers bit as well. I'm out of touch with that area now though. Spent a bit of time dumfries area a few years back. If you don't live there and have no local contacts I just found it was more trouble than it's worth when 12 months on a waiting list (or less) would get you on a good club in Northern England, with maps, guides and friendly members all happy to help 

• Thanks 1