12 hours ago, Lost Generation said:

Can anyone help identify this fungus please - picked this afternoon in grass on a woodland ride on the Oxfordhsire/Buckinghamshire border. There were a few of these here and there. Cheers.

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

Think it may be a "King Trumpet Mushroom"/ "The King OysterMushroom" mate, never seen one wild myself. I have seen them for sale as a commercial type. Don't go eating it unless you are sure. I'm unfamiliar with "The king Trumpet Mushroom" / The King OysterMushroom"and there might be something similar that's not good.

You could send your pictures to this guy, he will get back to you and might be interested.

https://www.wildfooduk.com/contact-us/

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Lost Generation said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I have emailed pictures to the guy. I certainly haven't seen this mushroom before and couldn't find it in any of my books. Cheers!

I've not ever seen them growing wild. They look like the King Oysters but I've only see them on sale. Used to be a guy with a market stall in town he had them. Can't find the in my mushroom books think they came from Japan originally, not 100% on that though.

Cheers Arry

Lost Generation do they all have that bulbous stout stalk and that small cap? Also are the caps all dark brown? Do they look different when mature?

Sorry all the questions but quite a curious one this.

There is one called "Clouded Agaric" that could look a bit similar when young. Some of the "Clitocybe"s and "Funnel Caps" but most are a cream colour or white usually.

Cheers Arry

They were all as pictured above. talking to a few people now, I suspect they are immature and I hope to go back to the spot in the next couple of days to try and find out what they look like when mature becuase at the moment they are a real puzzler . If I can find the spot, I will post pictures here of the fungi when mature

• Like 1
On 19/10/2019 at 07:53, Arry said:

Think it may be a "King Trumpet Mushroom"/ "The King OysterMushroom" mate, never seen one wild myself. I have seen them for sale as a commercial type. Don't go eating it unless you are sure. I'm unfamiliar with "The king Trumpet Mushroom" / The King OysterMushroom"and there might be something similar that's not good.

You could send your pictures to this guy, he will get back to you and might be interested.

https://www.wildfooduk.com/contact-us/

Cheers Arry

good site that arry.thanks for sharing..

• Like 1