ROE DEER

There are lots of Deer where I live and I see them most days when I am in the Woods , this morning I put five up out of some Bracken not more than 50 yards away and then an hour later I saw two more on a Wire Mesh Fence one had its head caught and was going Frantic and the other was running at the Mesh and bouncing off when I was close to them the Bouncing Boy jumped the Fence with six Feet to spare , I unfastened the other which was quite easy to do and off it went , is this very common behaviour as I have never seen it before though it must be the reason why there is no Barbed Wire here for Miles around lots of Hares in the Woods  too , that's something else you do not see in Leicestershire though this could be the difference between arable and Grasslands . 

• Like 1

I no a dog walker that walks a massively overweight short haired pointer in a local wood it has caught 3 roe all of which have just run into a chain link fence, I was told but have never researched to find out if it’s true that roe have a gland in there feet that leaves a scent as they walk and they use these scent trails to navigate when they are moving around  if they get chased off these known routes they go into a bit of a panic, it makes sense and would explain a lot of there mental behaviour ??? 

1 hour ago, micky said:

There are lots of Deer where I live and I see them most days when I am in the Woods , this morning I put five up out of some Bracken not more than 50 yards away and then an hour later I saw two more on a Wire Mesh Fence one had its head caught and was going Frantic and the other was running at the Mesh and bouncing off when I was close to them the Bouncing Boy jumped the Fence with six Feet to spare , I unfastened the other which was quite easy to do and off it went , is this very common behaviour as I have never seen it before though it must be the reason why there is no Barbed Wire here for Miles around lots of Hares in the Woods  too , that's something else you do not see in Leicestershire though this could be the difference between arable and Grasslands . 

These hares leave this wood every morning but it’s a first for me as well, am also seeing loads more rabbits living entirely in the woods and never venturing out onto the fields 

3AC2FA73-A51E-4401-8FC7-AF1AAEE28038.jpeg

68B162CE-7F01-4981-AF7F-BBEF4C2C5B08.jpeg

D81C35B7-0396-41FB-B5C0-E1E8E5247EBB.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

Roe can be real stupid with stock fencing. They seem to panic and not have the calm to jump under pressure. Unpressured they can be quite fleet.

Still, plenty get caught by the hock on the top strand...

Funny you say that because the c**ts always seemed to know exactly what they were doing with a dog up their arse ! Lol 

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, WILF said:

Funny you say that because the c**ts always seemed to know exactly what they were doing with a dog up their arse ! Lol 

I've never run deer on stock fenced land so couldn't comment but I know of a lab that regularly killed them at fences. In open country with scattered coverts they are anything but stupid.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, micky said:

It’s not a regular thing Micky but they do get problems with fencing at times, over the years I’ve seen a good few deer hanging from fences by there back legs which they have caught in between the barbwire and top strand of stock fencing.  Seen plenty killed after  that which have been hanging that way Long enough to get off the wire with there foot or part of there leg missing and survived to run another day. As for seeing a lot of hares in the woods the rough weather lately has more than likely pushed them in. 

• Like 1

Agree with every point above. Roe are at plague proportions, they are a menace for drivers, particularly at dusk. Both my sons live in the far north and for them the problem is reds. I like to walk late at night and at dawn, believe me, the reds up north are like rabbits used to be in the fifties.

When foot and mouth strikes again, which it very probably will, no amount of slaughtering will eradicate the disease because it will be present in the deer population which is very mobile. There needs to be a prolonged cull otherwise the country's foot and mouth free status will be gone for good. 

You would think DEFRA and the Ministry of Agriculture  even the NFU would take action now before the problem hits. But hey, no surprise really. 

10 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Agree with every point above. Roe are at plague proportions, they are a menace for drivers, particularly at dusk. Both my sons live in the far north and for them the problem is reds. I like to walk late at night and at dawn, believe me, the reds up north are like rabbits used to be in the fifties.

When foot and mouth strikes again, which it very probably will, no amount of slaughtering will eradicate the disease because it will be present in the deer population which is very mobile. There needs to be a prolonged cull otherwise the country's foot and mouth free status will be gone for good. 

You would think DEFRA and the Ministry of Agriculture  even the NFU would take action now before the problem hits. But hey, no surprise really. 

Probably makes it one of the easiest country’s in the world for a large stealthy predator to survive and thrive in though ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, jukel123 said:

A sustainable, ecologically friendly & healthy source of protein that tastes great, but never promoted properly to the general public in the uk. f***ing madness! 

It annoys me so much my Mrs is bored to fcuking tears hearing about it ?

• Like 2