Wine drinkers.

53 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

You say that and thats as maybe at the lower end but i got invited to some snobby " wine day " at Corney & Barrow up in Ayr they take you down into the cellars running under the streets,show you all the historical shit,experts giving lectures etc etc....there was one of the top tasters in the country there and they were trying to trick him by putting even tiny amounts of cheap wine into a glass with pucker vintage wines and he picked them out every time....most people just dont have the palate for it i cant tell the difference between any of it but its like anything,an expert in the field has an understanding few others do,its what makes them experts.

Not disagreeing gnash. We certainly aint experts, but alot of the 'higher end' wines, are to all intents and purposes, the same as alot of the cheaper wines. Not the vinegary, screw your face up crap, but some of the cheaper wines are extremely good. But  like you say, to a wine coinnoisseur, there'd probably be a marked difference ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m no expert, but I always think you can’t go wrong with a decent Rioja or Tempranillo. When back in England I would normally get a Campo Viejo which is reasonably priced. I’ve tried limiting my

Lol yeah, he looks well impressed lol ?

Nah I will just Stop through the week ... to be fair I’ve lost 3.5lbs in 10 days ......

Posted Images

We done a nice little tour & tasting at the Marques de Riscal winery............even the kids enjoyed it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very nice wine indeed......

Edited by Accip74
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

We done a nice little tour & tasting at the Marques de Riscal winery............even the kids enjoyed it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very nice wine indeed......

Lol yeah, he looks well impressed lol ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I’d rather spend the day picking grapes with the workers ?

Ive done that a few times locally, my areas not known for its wine as it all goes to make eau de vie which in turn makes cognac. If you ever see a bottle of 'Pineau des Charentes' give it a try, its the local drop. I take a few bottles of bits and bobs back to the UK when I visit, pineau is a winner every time.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

Honest opinion for what it’s worth......if you drank to much of one thing you will soon drink to much of whatever you try to replace it with......good luck tho :thumbs:

I know what your saying but I’ve given up drinking through the week completely ......

• Like 1
1 minute ago, socks said:

I know what your saying but I’ve given up drinking through the week completely ......

Fair play mate and I’m glad you took it how I meant it.....i don’t think a few glasses of wine will hurt anyone aslong as it stays as glasses and not bottles lol 

I do enjoy a nice glass  or 2 of red now and again, particularly at the weekend. Which could explain some of the bollocks that I post on THL. A recent thing for me though ,only about 15 year and prior to that it was drinking mostly beer and whiskey. I have been drinking all of my life and I love it.

I am no connoisseur but have a few tips for a new starter. Price. £10 and up will get you a decent bottle. Under £10 you will struggle. Most supermarkets have deals most weeks for those wines at a discount. Cannot go wrong with a £10.99 bottle of Rioja for £6.99, the brand name is not always relevant. At present there is a very nice red that ASDA are trying to shift/promote, 19 Crimes. A very nice Australian bottle of plonk, £9.00 retail that they are selling at £7.00.

And every red, no matter the price or quality benefits and improves by being uncorked (decanted if possible)  and allowed to breathe prior to drinking.

Cheers/Slainte

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I do enjoy a nice glass  or 2 of red now and again, particularly at the weekend. Which could explain some of the bollocks that I post on THL. A recent thing for me though ,only about 15 year and prior to that it was drinking mostly beer and whiskey. I have been drinking all of my life and I love it.

I am no connoisseur but have a few tips for a new starter. Price. £10 and up will get you a decent bottle. Under £10 you will struggle. Most supermarkets have deals most weeks for those wines at a discount. Cannot go wrong with a £10.99 bottle of Rioja for £6.99, the brand name is not always relevant. At present there is a very nice red that ASDA are trying to shift/promote, 19 Crimes. A very nice Australian bottle of plonk, £9.00 retail that they are selling at £7.00.

And every red, no matter the price or quality benefits and improves by being uncorked (decanted if possible)  and allowed to breathe prior to drinking.

Cheers/Slainte

Yep, I'll go along with that. We leave ours 'breathe' for about 15 mins prior to drinking. Sounds mad, but does make a difference ?

On 16/10/2019 at 23:06, socks said:

So I’ve stopped drinking through the week as apparently 8 pints of cider a night with some gin chasers is not good for you. So I’ve decided as well as coming off the alcohol during the week I want to cut down on volume also ... I’ve re found a sort of liking for red wine but I’m only really liking Malbec at the moment .... any of you guys know a bit about red wine ??? What would be a similar taste to Malbec ??? .........

Do you pour a little bit.....sniff it like a dog sniffing your bollocks.....then pour the rest ? Lol 

On 18/10/2019 at 21:17, WILF said:

Do you pour a little bit.....sniff it like a dog sniffing your bollocks.....then pour the rest ? Lol 

f***ing dog wont let me sniff mine in peace!! Lol

IMG-20191020-WA0007.jpg

• Like 3